Ok, things have settled down. I actually got all my homework done and just in time to finish my TV show on Amazon Prime before the trial ran out. I started watching a show called "London Hospital". It's absolutely fascinating and if you ever get the chance to watch it I would highly recommend it. You can watch it on YouTube I think but since the episodes are split up sometimes it's hard to find the next section you need. The show also goes by the title "Casualty 1906, 1907, or 1909" (depending on which season you're watching).
The show is about the London Hospital in the early 1900's during the advent of many of the medical procedures we have today. Things like X-ray and spinal anesthesia. I'm telling you, absolutely fascinating. The hospital kept really good records of all the cases and the nurses also kept detailed diaries. In fact, after the show was over I ran a few google searches and found out additional information about the characters and the cases in the show. All the episodes are taken from these records and they're really accurate. I totally want to buy the show in DVD but it's a region 2 DVD so it won't play on an American player.
Anyhow, it's a REALLY good show and I highly recommend it if you get the chance.
Moving on, school looks like it's going to be a beast. I might as well admit now that I've officially changed my major to Geography otherwise the rest of this won't make much sense. You're probably all rolling your eyes because I changed my major AGAIN but I really really love it. I actually took all geography classes last semester as well (except for writing). This semester I have a Global Information Systems (GIS) class which is ABSOLUTELY fascinating. I get to make maps all day. :) It's really hard, but really fun. It keeps me on campus late some nights because I have to do all the work on the computer and the software is really expensive so I'm not about to buy it so I can work at home. =P
In Climates and Weather, I'm going to have to do a group research paper which scares me, but since I spend all my time lately reading weather blogs (when I'm not watching London Hospital) for fun, at least I know I'll be interested in the research. =P
Statistics is the class that takes up all my time and I can't say that I like that class one bit. It's terrible and pretty much the cause of all my stress. The homework takes me forever and the textbook looks like it was written in 1970 before they even TRIED to make textbooks interesting to read. I can see how the class is relevant to Geography, but it's still dang hard. And the teacher has a really backwards way of teaching in which we do the homework BEFORE the lecture. Every class period I come out feeling like "gee, if I had had a lecture before the homework, it might not have taken me 4 hours".
My last class is Geography and World affairs. It's a general credit for the whole university so there are a lot of freshman in that class. Given that, I don't imagine that it will be that terribly difficult. So far, it's just been a review of my Human Geography class last semester, so not only do I feel super smart in that class, it's super easy.
Oh...and also I'm taking bowling. I think I might have mentioned that. I bowled a 140 (or something, Andrew tells me it was a 150 or 160 but I can't remember). Now I'm back to normal and barely breaking 100 if I'm lucky. But it's really fun and I'm taking the class with Andrew so it's even better. :)
This semester is going to be really busy but so far I'm doing ok staying on top of things. The house gets messy and I don't clean it but once a week, which makes things hard because the apartment is really small and crowded when it's messy, but I'm better at relaxing about that. Finances are finally on the upswing so I don't have to stress about that so much, and despite all my homework I'm finding time to make dinner at home again which is nice. Now we just have to go grocery shopping because Andrew doesn't get home til 8 during the week at which point the temps are barely above zero and we don't want to go back outside to go grocery shopping. =P Now that it's Saturday and it's a whole 9 degrees outside we can go! =P
And I'm a month into my Zoloft and it's working really really well. I don't get as stressed and I don't cry over every stupid thing. It's fantastic to be normal again. :)
Well, time to go grocery shopping!
So if we all go bowling, you can count it as study?
ReplyDeletehaha, Nate! We should go, study or not! :)
DeleteYour semester sounds like one of mine back in the early 80's! I took just about all those classes, and my major was Geog/Travel&Tourism. I also took Zoloft (though Paxil worked much better for me) and I LOVED my bowling class. Still use the techniques today that I learned in class. :) Good luck on your Stats class. :) Greetings to you and Andrew both.
ReplyDeleteI was interested in Travel and Tourism, but I don't have time to do an internship so I'm just doing Global Studies.
DeleteI'll admit there was a small eyeroll.. BUT it sounds like you're super excited which is great. I might refer you back to this post later on if you get whiny though :P
ReplyDeleteDid you get the mold out of your kitchen aid? That just sounds gross and nasty!! I would be livid. Yuck... And I am here to say that I hope to comment (not just read) on a more regular basis :)
Well as you can tell by the tone of the kitchen-aid post, I was livid. Well maybe not, I had time to recover and all the lividness was turned into sarcasm, but I still don't have a very high opinion on Apartment 8. And as for Geography, I do really enjoy it. But there might be whining later on due entirely to my stats class. Please don't hold it against me. =P
DeleteHaha okay I won't hold the stat class against you ;)
DeleteOH YAY!!!
ReplyDeleteHappy Jessica is the best kinda Jessica (I mean...I'm all for any kinda Jessica, but Happy Jessica is like...totally superlative).
I do have to say though, reading your comments about statistics makes me a bit nervous for when I'll have to take statistics and Quantitative studies in Communication. X_X
Hooray for majors that you love! (And I'm SO excited that you've found one that's a good fit for you and that you enjoy!)
<3<3<3 and miss ya!
(I'd suggest we hit the lanes together sometime but seeing as how I usually average about a 90, I definitely wouldn't be much of a challenge :P)
haha, I only average about a 90 too. That first time was a total fluke! Besides, I bowl the same way I golf, against myself. Or at least I would, if I golfed. Anyhow, we should totally hit up the lanes! I miss you too. Things have been way busy (and cold) so we hardly leave the house to see people. I'm not avoiding you I promise! =P
Delete