Even now, I really want to skip over some things in my life and get on to the things that made me laugh. This time though, I feel guilty doing so. So I have to blog about the not so fun things in life as a way to move on.
A couple weeks ago, my uncle died suddenly. Probably due to the shock and due to the fact that she was living with my aunt and uncle when it happened, a week later, my Grandy passed away.
She was 91 this last Saturday and we were sure she was going to live to be 100. She was completely healthy and probably more fit than most of us. So it completely blindsided us all. She passed away in her sleep.
I spent most of the following days in the denial stage of grief. Being in Utah and not Arizona made that easy because nothing felt real. It also made the funeral much more difficult because then realization hit me like a ton of bricks, if you'll forgive the cliche.
So that's where I was this weekend. In Arizona, for my 90 year old grandmother's funeral.
I didn't really want to talk about it...but I also didn't want to keep blogging like nothing had happened.
My sister made this collage. I stole it from her.

I've always thought that one of the best aspects of our religion is the fact that we can absolutely know that we will get to see our relatives again.
ReplyDeleteYour wedding was the only time I ever met your grandma, but even just that was enough to see her fantastic personality.
When I read that she passed away, I immediately pictured her dancing right into spirit paradise (...that's what it's called right?...I'm still learning the plan of salvation - apparently its a little more complicated than I thought!) and instantly making friends with everyone, making em smile and laugh.
I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm also excited for you because I'm sure it's gonna be SO awesome to see her again one day in Heaven! :)
(And then you can tell her about all the neat stuff you did while you lived to 90+)
I <3 you!
yes, the plan of salvation is crazy complicated once you get down to it.
DeleteAnd someone help me if I ever live to be 90...the way this world is going, that sounds absolutely MISERABLE! Here's hoping the Second Coming happens before then.
Thanks for your kind words. That picture up there of her raising her glass, anyone who met her once can imagine her saying something crazy. =P
lol well, then maybe not all the way to 90 but you can at least tell her what the second coming was like :P
DeleteHaha, I'm sure whatever toast she was giving in that picture resulted in many raised eyebrows and giggles :)
Oh no! I am sorry that I missed this, by like a month. Your Grandy was an amazing lady. It has been years since I last saw her, but I still remember her and remember loving her! I agree with Kaylynne, isn't the gospel amazing? By the way, way to go on blogging about the not so fun things.
ReplyDeletehaha, you didn't miss it by like a month, it was only a week and a half ago. =P
DeleteShe was amazing, and she had that effect on everyone. Most of what was spoken of at the funeral was about how all the cousins' friends loved her instantly after meeting her.
Thanks.
If giving a hug was a reaction for your blog, then I'd be clicking that one.
ReplyDeletecookies are almost like hugs, you could check that one. I don't mind that "I want a cookie" sounds a bit selfish. =P
DeleteThanks. :)