Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Episode 42: In Which Jessica Basically Realizes That She Fails at Blogging...among other things

Long time to no see right? Yeah...no joke. You probably think I forgot I even HAD a blog. Oh wait...I kinda did.

See...Something about studying calculus makes you forget that there is a world outside math homework.

Well, long story short, after getting an F on both exams so far, I gave up and dropped the class. It wasn't worth my GPA...or the tears I shed over it night after night. (I'm not kidding, ask Andrew, I think I cried myself to sleep at least once a week)

Since I had all that yucky calculus, I didn't really have much time to do anything else worth blogging about, and so even though this is my first entry in like 2 months, it will still be short. I'm sure you're all relieved. If you're even reading it.

The past couple months included a trip to Arizona and many many many kitchen disasters. I'm surprised I'm not dead. Also, Andrew went skiing I think...twice? His dad came down at the end of January so Andrew went skiing at Alta with him. I stayed home and cleaned the house and wrote Thank You notes. (which STILL aren't done).

I stay home and clean the house a lot...only I haven't done it the past couple weekends because Andrew has Saturdays off now so I have better things to do. Even though I keep telling him he's going to clean the house with me on Saturday...we never end up doing it. *sigh*

I WILL...no wait I won't clean the house this weekend. We'll be in Salt Lake all day. Andrew wants to go to the REI garage sale in Sandy and while we're up there we'll be going to Cost Plus World Market to get Toriani syrups. Andrew is into mocktail mixing these days, and I encourage him because I get free italian cream sodas. :)

Also, my friend Teresa is getting married on Saturday. :)

Speaking of marriages. That is why Andrew and I were in Arizona. We went down for my friend Ali's wedding. While we were down there we took care of some long overdue fighting with MCC too. I graduated high school in 2005...my Associates degree is now going to read 2011. Gosh I feel like a loser. =P

And of course we ate at Bahama Bucks...cuz they don't have them here. It's ok though cuz we have the Cocoa Bean so it evens out.

It was nice to kind of get the weekend away...and we came back sunday night so we still had monday to relax. Still, I had to study for calculus while I was down there and I had an accounting assignment due so we couldn't just forget the world. In fact, we spent so much time getting assignments done early so we didn't have to do them in Arizona, that we were dead tired by the time we actually landed. The two days preceding the trip we stayed up until like 3am just doing homework/packing.

So yes, it was fun. But really not worth the hassle. From now on, I'll just leave the long distance travel to winter and summer breaks.

Other than that I've just been playing around with destruction in the kitchen. I have a lot of extra time since I dropped calculus so I'm known to say "hmmm, I want lemon squares. I have time" when really, I've just overestimated the time I have. Then I make retarded mistakes like using powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar for the lemon filling. In case you didn't know, powdered sugar combines with egg whites in the worst way...meaning they turn rock hard. I had to send Andrew out in the rain to get the more eggs. I would have gone but we got hit by the white stealth car of death (seriously, white with no lights in a SNOWstorm! what the crap!?) at the end of February and only Andrew is allowed to drive the rental car. Plus had I left in the middle of my cooking, more disaster would have struck, I am sure.

Anyhow, so I made fried ice cream and navajo tacos one night...that didn't really end in disaster, unless you count the left over chili that I was using...that I made from scratch but didn't soak the beans long enough. =P

I also made tostadas, which went pretty smoothly aside from having to scrub the oil off my skillet for 2 hours and using almost an entire box of baking soda to do it. Oh yeah, and don't forget I had one of those time overestimating moments in which I decided it was a good idea to make spanish rice...and then I got jalepeno oil up my nose and it burned so bad that I was crying and couldn't see or think straight. So after calling Andrew in to clear the sink of dishes, I proceeded to turn the oven off and leave the burner on when I mean to do the opposite, and then put my oven mitt on top of the still hot burner. Luckily I was standing right there so there was no fire, just a lot of smoke and my burner STILL smells funny despite my trying to clean it.

What else happened? Oh yeah, well I made spaghetti with fresh tomato sauce and homemade breadsticks the other day. They were delicious. I'm amazing sometimes. The next day I was in the kitchen and was surprised it was so warm (our kitchen is FREEZING...like, so cold that we don't even eat in there...we just eat on the floor in the living room) Well, to my horror...I had left the oven on ALL night and ALL day. *sigh* I'm lucky we still have an apartment.

I think that's the last thing that happened. Things like this never happened when I was single...being married must make you a magnet for destroying the kitchen. Yet, I keep going back. Go figure. =P

I subscribed to "Entertainment" a shoot off of the Cook's Illustrated magazine. It has a recipe for French Silk Pie in it....oh boy do I want to make it. But I need heatproof bowls first. All I have now are pyrex bowls and plastic bowls. I might make a lot of mistakes, but putting my pyrex bowls on the stove will NOT be one of them.

Let's see...anything else?

Well, the last couple days have been crazy. My dad woke me up on Friday morning at 6:20 to tell me there had been a huge earthquake in Sendai. I was so out of it that I mumbled something to andrew and then went back to sleep. Neither of us understood. Then suddenly, like 10 minutes later, I shot straight up and exclaimed "ANDREW! THAT'S WHERE NAGASE SHIMAI IS!!!"

He was still too tired to understand...but I tried phoning her. Of COURSE it didn't go through....but that didn't stop me from calling her like every 10 minutes the entire day. I was glued to the Japanese news, which I was streaming live all day. I didn't even watch the news that much when September 11th happened.

Finally at about 10pm I was able to get through to Nagase shimai's cell phone. I was able to confirm that she and her family were ok before her boyfriend called and she had to go. She's staying at her boyfriend's family's house right now. I'm not sure where they live...but its not underwater.

That's my good news for the day. Now I have to go study like crazy for an Accounting exam. What fun. I just love mid-terms. Andrew and I are so buried in homework right now its insane. Well, him more than me. I have some tests coming up, but nothing compared to him. He has programming, and physics, and a research paper to write...poor Andrew.

I just study and in between studying I nearly blow up the kitchen so that he has something to eat when he finally takes a break from studying. I can't wait til this semester is over. It's officially over in a month tomorrow. Phew!

...So much for short.

1 comment:

  1. Haha yeah not really short. But it's been forever since you've written... Bummer about Calculus! And please don't actually blow up the kitchen. We love you guys too much.

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Cookies!?!?