Thursday, March 31, 2011

Episode 44: In Which Jessica Has Absolutely Nothing To Do At Work

Hello, so I'm here at work...there's nothing to do. All the supervisors are out for the day and I finished my little congressional clean up job early. I worked on making my schedule for next semester, but when you can't actually register, there isn't much you can do with that.

Normally, I'm calling people like crazy trying to update alumni information but we just finished the school of family life (12,000 alumni) and we're waiting on a list from the econ department. For some reason its taking forever. Dawna had me working on updating the internship database (deleting old congressmen who aren't in office anymore) but like I said, that's done.

I'm sitting here staring at Jeff's (my coworker) employee appreciation card and wanting to eat it. It has candy bars all over it. It's employee appreciation week here at BYU and so we all got cards from Dawna. I'm usually in in the mornings so I already got mine, and its at home, missing 3 candy bars on account of I ate them.

Phew, its been forever since I've typed anything on a desktop computer. I miss my laptops chiclet keyboard, my fingers are tired cuz they have to high step it all over the keyboard!

Anyhow, what is going on? Well, I love my husband, but there isn't much more to say about that and its hardly new.

I'm not sure what I wrote about last time but I've been kind of lazy this week. The semester is winding down and normally that makes things more crazy but for me...its making things more boring (if you don't count the research paper Andrew has to write). Since I dropped calculus my life has been somewhat empty. Not the kind of empty that makes me wish I had my calculus class back...never. Just...I have WAY too much free time.

My other classes are pretty straight forward. Go to class, take a 5 question quiz 3 times a week, show up for the midterms. Even my paper for Book of Mormon is done...and its not due for 2 weeks. Maybe a week and a half. Anyhow, boring. I can't complain THAT much...I'm always complaining about how BYU is too busy and fast paced. But I am still having trouble finding worthwhile employment for myself.

Speaking of classes. Despite the fact that they're straight forward...I will still be luck to get any A's this semester. I think I have a shot in Book of Mormon...if the quizzes don't get me. I averaged a C or a D on the quizzes (5 point quizzes kill me) but I got an A and a B+ on the exams so far and I think I'll get an A on my paper...so maybe more like another B to add to my college career -_-

Finance isn't hard really, but the tests are murder. When you study for 3 hours, go take the test, get a D, and the REST of the class says it was hard too...you know there are issues. I blame Jimmer. I hated basketball before but when the TA cancelled the review session so he could watch the game? It's not really his fault mind you...when he asked the class who would actually show up, only like 3 people (out of 200) raised their hands.

I'm glad BYU basketball is over. I guess its sad that they couldn't make it to the finals but still...I'm glad it can't interrupt my studying (which I am actually trying to do for once).

I was spending my days cooking but I've run out of things to cook. We've been trying to cut expenses (ok...I have...Andrew has been throwing DVDs into the cart when I'm shopping lol) and so I'm making a lot of ramen and mac and cheese and hamburger helper. I did get another bag of chicken from costco last time we went so I can mix things up a little...but as far as desserts, I have to really plan those because I don't typically keep the stuff lying around.

Sugar around our house these days comes from apples and oranges. The Rancho market was selling 6 pounds of oranges for 99 cents so we got 5 pounds. We're nearly out, they are DELICIOUS! We also got 2 pounds of apples for 99 cents and a couple of mangoes for 99 cents. Oh, and Andrew threw some chocolate covered raisins in the basket at costco. Not gonna lie, I benefit from them. =P

We've been doing pretty good at not eating out and my doctors bills have FINALLY stopped coming. We're now in the position to start paying off my student loans. Hooray!

So in my finance class we're always talking about saving money and stuff and I'd be lying if it didn't stick with me. So I've got my financial goals and I am proud to say that I worked out a pretty good system to acheieve them all and be ok. We're still working on our savings, I want to have our rainy day fund built up by the end of August. Once that is built up we're starting to save for Japan. We figured out that for the numbers I ran, if we save a certain amount each month we can easily have enough for the whole trip by the end of January 2013. I don't have to disclose how much we have to save, but its completely doable within our budget cuz I am just amazing like that.

So while BYU is busy telling me that I'll never be good enough, I tend to feel like I'm excelling at life. :)

Speaking of BYU, I've brought this entry full circle. I changed my major again...but this time I went back to photography. A year after I decided NOT to do it, I decided it's the best thing I can do. We'll just see if I can get accepted into the program. Just like everything else at BYU (engineering excepted) is Competetive with a capital C. Out of an average of 250-300 applicants, they accept 25 a semester. I apply next Fall...wish me luck!

Anything else?

I need to grow an herb garden. Like seriously. A few other things would be nice too. I'm currently trying to decide where would be best to grow a garden. Seriously, it occupies my every waking thought.

That's all. ok. Bye. :)

3 comments:

  1. I don't know if you have the room but Tim and I are gonna do a container garden on our balcony

    ReplyDelete
  2. IDK what it is, maybe it's just cause they're in season but Oranges in the Summer is like perfection both in cost and taste! :P

    Psh, you'll TOTALLY get into the photography program!

    What do you need to submit? (IF it's photography stuff, no problema - if it's other stuff, maybe I can help - if ya need it...tho if you have to submit a painting, the best I can do is show ya how to make some cool handprints using finger paints...which I doubt will get you in :p)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah I'm not real clear yet on what exactly I need. It SOUNDS like its comprised of work from the core classes (none of which are photography...go figure) so I'm a little worried. I don't think it will involve painting though so thank goodness for that cuz I have a very real fear of paintbrushes. They killed my family you see =P

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Cookies!?!?