I had made plans to go see my friend Kaylynne, who is currently going to the U. We got up around 10 and after getting dressed, went out clothes shopping for Andrew (who is in need of new shirts). We found a couple, but I got frustrated at the fact that nearly every shirt we looked at was branded...usually with a skating brand. He managed to find some breathable golf style shirts which, despite my apprehension seem to look good on him. I was afraid he'd look like some weird 50 year old golfer...gross. He wanted them more for hiking because he wanted a light breathable fabric. *sigh* they're his shirts...I'm not so into hiking that I can't just wear a t-shirt personally =P
After that we went up to Salt Lake and after searching forever to find the visitor parking near Kaylynne's dorm, we were on our way into Salt Lake for lunch.
We tried a hawaiian place that came highly recommended on Yelp but turns out it was no longer there and I was sad. I wanted me some hawaiian food. So instead, we went to the Red Iguana. Everyone raves about the Red Iguana and it was featured on "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives" on the food network. It really is a good place, this being my second time there. However this time I ordered the "machaca chimichanga" instead of a regular one...and having not read the description was saddened to find scrambled eggs in it. *sigh* luckily, I didn't notice until I was almost done when I happened to bite into a large chunk of egg. Seeing as I was almost done and getting full, I focused on my beans and rice and decided to forgo the rest of the chimi.
My pina colada was AMAZING though. Best pina colada I've had yet! I think. Anyhow, a wonderful blend of pina and colada. If you're ever in the neighborhood, I would recommend the Red Iguana...if you're not there for a main meal time. The last time we went we waited for an hour, but this time, since it was 2pm we got right in and seated.
After lunch we went to Decades, a vintage store on State Street. The place is huge but I've heard terrifying things about the owner. The owner wasn't in on Saturday that I noticed but there were signs like "don't play in the damn hats" that made me think maybe the rumors were true. Rumors being that he's grumpy. The rest of the staff is nice though and we did play in the "damn hats" thanks. =P Actually, we were looking for a fedora for Andrew, but they were all too small. Too bad....why were people 30 years ago so small!? I looked at a size 6 gunny sax dress and it looks like a CHILD's size 6!
My favorite find was the vintage lingerie which made me slightly sad that I didn't know anyone having a bridal shower any time soon because I seriously wanted to give someone some pioneer era "lingerie". =P
After playing around in there, we decided it was time to go take photos and visit the little British gift shop and bakery across the street from Trolley Square Mall.
I don't know much about British food or imports so while the gift shop was fun, it wasn't like walking through an asian grocery store...I was quite able to resist spending impulses. I do however think that anyone familiar with the UK at all would enjoy that shop.
We took some pictures outside the shop in front of the mini cooper and then had a mini-photoshoot, using Andrew as our model. He makes a very attractive model, if I do say so myself...and his yellow shirt looked fantastic against our chosen backdrops. The weather was splendidly overcast that day (nature's softbox) and so exposures were easy.Once we were done taking pictures of Andrew, we walked to the bakery next door. It was such a cozy little place with a row of pillows on one wall. Kaylynne quickly claimed her spot there. I would show you a picture but I'm ashamed at the composition. We weren't originally going to stay for tea but the ambience of the whole place (and the friendly staff) compelled us to do so. Andrew and Kaylynne ordered two pots of herbal tea and Kaylynne and I giggled like school girls when we saw the cute little teapots come out in their fun colors. The giggles stopped quickly as cameras came out and we both tried to arrange the cup and teapot in a manner that lent itself to its photograph.
When we finally settled down, we all enjoyed our tea (did I mention it was herbal tea? I probably should have mentioned that) and our treats. Kaylynne got something called a chocolate crunch, I got an almond tart with raspberry, and Andrew got something called a midnight tropical brownie. It looked like something you'd find in a See's chocolate box.
The staff was super friendly and we enjoyed talking to them but here's the best part of the whole day. The owner came out and saw our cameras and asked if we were taking pictures. I was nervous because usually that is followed with a "no pictures allowed" but instead she enthusiastically told us to take all the pictures we wanted and to post them everywhere we could. She even offered to take things out of the display case so we could get better detail shots.
As soon as Kaylynne and I were done, we ran around taking pictures of everything. I spent most of my time trying to photograph a west facing window before realizing it was futile in the afternoon...but oh well. You live and learn. I still got some good shots. I'll endulge you here. It was so fun!
![]() |
| I'm an expert at self-criticism. WHY DIDN'T I MOVE THAT SPOON!?! |
![]() |
| An example of the aforementioned "west facing window" shot |
![]() |
| Andrew, purposely getting in the way of my shot =P |
So there you have it. My trip to the UK :)
Sunday was a laze about day. That's not a good thing. My back is STILL recovering from it. Nothing like getting sore from staying in bed all day and feeling physically ill because the only thing you ate was bagels and waffles. After taking a hot bath, taking some Aleve, sleeping on a heating pad, working in my garden, eating grapes and carrots I'm FINALLY feeling normal.
I guess this is God's way of giving me a testimony of the Word of Wisdom.
PS. Our ward is lame. They didn't give the fathers ANYTHING for father's day at church. What the crap!?! There are the wards like ours, and there's wards like my parents where the dad's all get root beer floats. What gives!?




















You got TONS more better angles than me (<- And lots better grammar too :p)
ReplyDeleteThe Kaylynne is jealous!
<3