Monday, January 28, 2013

I feel like a dork.

I mentioned before that finances are finally looking up. In fact, we actually have a little bit of surplus to work with and so the other day at Costco, I did something I never do. I made an impulse purchase. As soon as I even began contemplating it, Andrew threw it into the cart before I could change my mind. It was only 20 dollars, so I never did end up changing my mind. I never buy things for myself so Andrew took full advantage of it.

I bought Cranford and Return to Cranford on DVD. I borrowed them from the library once and they were wonderful. I think I wrote about them before. Anyhow, they've been on my Amazon wishlist for a while and they are 40 dollars on Amazon so I was getting it for half price! However, I'm in school and in addition to trying to save money by denying myself impulse buys, I typically try not to buy things that would distract me from my homework (ie. books and movies and even worse, movies based on books).

So I did what any responsible adult would do, and I immediately sent the DVDs up to Seattle to my mother-in-law. I knew she would love them, and I can pick them up over the summer when we go visit. The plan was perfect.

The only snag in the plan is that right now, I'm laying in bed with the flu and I'm totally bored. *sniff* I feel like a total dork now. Ah well, North and South is on Netflix streaming. I will watch that.

Speaking of North and South, I was at Costco again the other day and right next to the Cranford DVDs they had the entire Elizabeth Gaskell collection: North and South, Cranford, and Wives and Daughters. For only 21 dollars! This is why impulse buys are bad, folks. There is ALWAYS something better.

Oh well. Wives and Daughters is on Netflix streaming too...

And in case you're wondering, yes I have homework I could do. I do believe however, that were I to do Statistics in my current state of frailty, it would induce another wave of nausea. I'm trying to protect myself here. =P

3 comments:

  1. I think doing Statistics would slow your recovery significantly. Aren't I a good influence? So, Cranford, North and South, Wives and Daughters...which one is the best?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. I got the notification that you had replied just as I was contemplating the detriment that attempting statistics had been to my health. =P

      As for which one is best...that's hard to say, they're all fairly different. North and South is kind of a darker Pride and Prejudice (and by darker, I mean industrial revolution...so it's soot covered =P) in that it deals more with class boundaries. Wives and daughters has a lighter feel to it since it is set in the country and deals less with class boundaries so much as familial relationships in mixed families, plus a good love story. Cranford is more about a group of gossipy old women and a town on the brink of change. However, of those gossipy old women one is Imelda Staunton and the other is Judi Dench so how can you possible go wrong? :)

      As you can see, I have a hard time choosing but I think perhaps Cranford is my favorite followed by Wives and Daughters, and then North and South. The stipulation of course being that on any given day I might rearrange the order depending on my mood.

      Unfortunately, Cranford is the only one that is NOT on Netflix streaming, but so long as you have netflix you can check the other two out and if you get the DVDs you can look into Cranford as well.

      I'm sure that is much more than you were looking for. =P

      Delete
  2. Nope, that's perfect! I have seen North and South, but I must confess that I don't love it as much as I was told I would. It was fine, but I'm not rushing out to buy it or read the book. Maybe I will try the other two!

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Cookies!?!?