Monday, September 2, 2013

A Passing From Pseudo-Adulthood to Full Fledged "Now I Understand Everything They Taught Me in the Marriage Prep" Adulthood

Andrew and I have been married for a little over 2 and half years. We're expecting a baby in just a couple months here (WHAT!?) and school is finally winding down. We've had dinner together every night since we've been married (even if sometimes it's at 10pm). We've had it easy so far but I've been feeling a sense of urgency lately as we're about to transition from student life to real life (kinda...Andrew is still going to go to school for at least another 4 years).

But I realized this weekend that we've already crossed the threshold between "pseudo-adulthood" and what I feel is "real-adulthood". Or maybe we're in that weird transition zone that makes it all worse, I don't know.

Anyhow, it's our new callings that have thrown us into this whirl of craziness. Andrew was called as first counselor in the Elder's Quorum a while back. This being the prime month of transition for our ward (moving-season) he's been in presidency meeting after presidency meeting and of COURSE, he's been called on last minute a few times to engage in service projects like helping people move. I've been accompanying him to most service projects. I carry lightweight boxes and stuff when people move, it hasn't been bad and it's a good opportunity to serve together.

However, I was recently called as the secretary in the Young Women's presidency. Overwhelmed is a pretty good way to describe the new calling. I went to mutual on Wednesday and smiled and nodded when the girls told me excitedly that they were going to the "One Direction" movie on Friday. Ha, like I even know what that is. =P Ok I actually do but only because I know one of them dated Taylor Swift and I only know that because like a boring old person, I read the news. It's not like I listen to music.

But besides all that, I just got the stake calendar and realized just how busy this calling is going to be. I'm sure that youth callings are the most busy callings in the church between all the devotionals, activities, and regular Sunday lessons.

Don't get me wrong, I'm overwhelmed but also excited about this new calling. However, between it, school, getting ready for the baby, and just keeping the house under control in general (hahaha, yeah that doesn't happen over the semester even when I'm NOT pregnant and in YW, but one can dream), I think it's safe to say that I've reached that point in my marriage where Andrew and I will be so busy with our callings that we will hardly see each other. I now understand how important date nights will be because we won't see each other hardly ever.

And so, all those lessons in marriage prep are coming back to me full force and I'm glad I SORTA kinda brought back date nights (We went and saw Pacific Rim on Friday, by the way), and we're still working together on everything else they taught us was important in marriage prep including temple attendance, FHE (still kinda failing at that), family scriptures, etc. The only difference is now is that I understand just how important it all really is.

I know there are some people that experience this transition MUCH earlier in marriage, like I said, Andrew and I enjoyed 2 and a half years of being always together. It's just a crazy feeling to know that that is coming to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Cookies!?!?