Monday, September 23, 2013

Best Husband Ever

Well, this weekend was my birthday. Since we don't have much money and school has started so we don't have a lot of time (unless you count all the time I waste on Facebook lately because I have really bad senioritis) I tried not to talk about my birthday much so Andrew wouldn't feel pressured to do much.

I was ever so surprised when he informed me that we were going to take a trip to Arches National Park and to the Green River Watermelon Festival!



We left early Saturday morning and drove down to Arches. It's only 3 hours away! We got there at 9. We made the hike to Delicate Arch and also hiked to Landscape Arch before we decided were were beat and it was time to head to the festival. I will DEFINITELY be going back to Arches though. It was absolutely amazing! We want to take the guided hike through the slot canyons but you have to sign up for it like 4 months in advance.



The watermelon festival was worth everything it took to get there. Green River is a little dying recreation town with nothing really to speak for it except the watermelons. I'd always heard Green River watermelons were amazing, but I wanted to try for myself. I didn't HAVE to go to Green River to get one, they sell them at roadside stands around here, but I figured it might be fun to go.

I had given up hope of going due to the intense outflow of money that happens every year just before my birthday due to school starting. So I was super excited when Andrew said we were going.

We didn't spend much time there. Just enough to eat food and relax after a long day of hiking. But the watermelon was more amazing than I had imagined was possible. I've never had a watermelon that I couldn't control the dripping juices but it was so juicy it just ran down my arms and face in a continual stream. And it made me so sticky! It was sooooooo sweet and delicious. I kept going back for more! (why not? It was free!)



I swear those watermelons weighed about 15 pounds each, at least!
We bought two watermelons to bring home. They weren't AS good as the ones at the festival, probably because they were already a day old and I hear watermelons start to lose flavor about two days after they are picked. But it was still really yummy. I'm still glad we made the trek to get them fresh at Green River though.
thank goodness it will be a while before this little girl is the size of this watermelon...this was the smaller of the two we bought.

All in all, it was the best day ever and I'm SO glad Andrew took me. We had so much fun!


2 comments:

  1. *Insert ridiculously high pitched squeal here* You are SUCH an adorbs Preggers lady!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. =P It's mostly because she's not as big as the watermelon. Can you imagine if I had a bump the size of that under my shirt!? I'd fall over! =P

      Delete

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Cookies!?!?