Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Episode 16: In Which Jessica FINALLY Gets To Relax

When we last met with Jessica, it was nearly a month ago! Holy Cow!

So I suppose I owe you all an explanation as to why I haven't been writing lately. Two words. Mid Terms. Or is that like one and a half words? I don't even know. Anyhow, Midterms have kept me VERY busy with papers and studying like CRAZY! But we'll get to that part soon enough. Let's start with the fun stuff just BEFORE I got so crazy busy.

The week was pretty uneventful except for the spring weather faking us out at the beginning of March and GIRLS DAY! Heck yes, I love girls day! On March 3rd in Japan they have a holiday called "Hina matsuri" They usually celebrate by eating sushi and setting up pretty doll sets...but in America, I celebrate it just a little differently. I went out and celebrated with Rebekah and Kaylynne and we ate half price appetizers at Applebee's! I also got a molten chocolate cake and a virgin pina colada. Hey! It was girl's day! I'm allowed! =P

It was quite fun, but I ate SOO much food!

The next day the weather was wonderful and there was a slight breeze so I decided I wanted to fly a kite! I asked Andrew to pick me up a kite at Wal-Mart (a Batman kite, I was very specific). Unfortunately, Wal-Mart is lame and they only had a Batman, Superman, and Green Lantern kite. Oh well. We went up to the Northeast corner of campus to fly it, but by the time we got there the sun had gone and was replaced with dark clouds (as you can see). We let out the string on the kite and watched it fly! It was so much fun for a whole 5 minutes until the wind sent it crashing down into the grass. When we tried to get it back up in the air, the wind was too strong and pulled the string off the kite so we were forced to retire for the day.

I suppose this was a good thing because it was getting pretty cold and I didn't have my jacket with me. So we got back in the car and returned to my apartment where we watched "Better Off Dead". (such a hilarious movie). Then I looked out the window and saw...SNOW! So we HAD to go out and play in it! Andrew was sweet enough to endulge in my desire to go out and play in the snow. We didn't stay out for long but the snow continued for a while. We walked to campus in it but it had stopped by the time we finished dinner. Campus was a regular winter wonderland! Only it was spring, but who's counting? I was torn which picture to put here...so I included both.

That weekend, on March 5th, I boarded a bus bound for Salt Lake. It was kinda scary, going all by myself by bus to Salt Lake, but I had lots of UVU students to keep me company. Seriously, how many of them commute from other places just to go there!?! There were billions of them! Anyhow, I parted from Andrew to go visit Erica...if we still went with mission names, I would say I parted from Elder Powell to go visit Sister Powell (no known relation) and I felt like I was on exchanges! Maybe it was the whole "exchanges" thing that put me back in mission mode but I had so much fun at Erica's sleeping in a futon and having companionship study in Japanese with her! Yeah, we're amazing and we read our scriptures in Japanese together =P

We had a wonderful Japanese meal including Udon, miso soup, and inari zushi! Oh how I love inari! It was so delcious and so fun! I really really felt like I had gone back to the mission. Whenever I'm missing the mission, I just have to find Erica and know she's missing it as much as me and when we get together, we don't care how nerdy it is...we're in the mission again. It's so nice! ^__^ After dinner we piled in the car and went to the movies! It's been ages since I've seen a movie in the theater so it was expensive, but nice. We went to see Alice in Wonderland. My opinion? Not so great, honestly. I love Tim Burton and I love Johnny Depp but I didn't feel like it was a great accomplishment on either account. It wasn't BAD by any means...just not of the caliber I have come to expect from the two. I was especially disappointed because I have come to admire how Johnny Depp gets absolutely lost in his characters and you can rarely tell that it's Johnny Depp and that he's only playing a fictional character. Through the whole movie, I was accutely aware that it was Johnny Depp playing the role of the Mad Hatter. It was kind of saddening really.

The next day we got up and went out shopping in Salt Lake. We looked up all the vintage consignment shops in the area and went exploring. I lost myself in this mega cool store which unfortunately forbade us to take pictures. I found an vintage gunny sack dress but it was too small so I didn't buy it. Bummer. Andrew came to meet us around that same time and by that time we were all hungry.

We went to lunch at a Mexican restaurant called "The Red Iguana" and I had a pina colada and chimichanga! woot! I love chimichangas! they are so delicious. Whever had the idea of deep frying things was a genius, cuz it always makes things a hundred times better than they would be if you didn't deep fry them! The bad thing about mexican food is that it is SO good but SO filling. I was STUFFED by the end of lunch...and lunch ended up being so late that we had dinner like 2 hours later! So we went back to Erica's and just kinda laid around and talked for a little while...Andrew and Erica learned that it doesn't take much to tickle me...I'm in for a lifetime of woe now. =P

After we left Erica's, Andrew and I had a little bit of time still before dinner so we drove from Salt Lake to Sandy via the surface roads. There wasn't as much to see as we had hoped but it was fun nonetheless. I love spending time with Andrew and I especially love it when we get the chance to just talk. When you're driving, there's not much else to do. I love it! Once we got to Sandy I recognized a lot of places so I took him to see my house up there and my old school and stuff. It was really fun. ^_^

After sightseeing in Sandy, we went and met my parents at Winger's for dinner. Yep! My parents came up to Utah unexpectedly! We were both totally stuffed still so we just got desserts...which I still couldn't finish. My mom and I laughed at my dad cuz he was saying weird stuff, and all around we had a good time. And Andrew passed the parent test, they like him! yay! My mom brought a camel pack up for me and also, the kitchen aid! I was instantly popular with Candace when I brought that home. =P So now I have a kitchen aid!!!

The following week was the culmination of...MID TERMS...which is why I haven't been writing in my blog! It was CRAZY! I had to go through many prayers and get a blessing from my home teachers just to get through! I had a paper due as well as a Chemistry test to study for. I studied my chemistry like crazy and I think I hyperventilated on more than one occasion. I feel bad for Andrew who had to watch the whole thing, but he was really good about it and helped me calm down a lot. I worked hard on my chemistry all week and managed to get through the test with a 73 percent!!! I was sooooooo happy! It was amazing how much I was able to relax too. It was instantaneous! Andrew even told me that I LOOKED a lot happier...even though I didn't think I had changed any.

The Friday following my test, I took a break from school to do some skiing! I was really nervous cuz I've never been skiing before but Andrew told me I'd be fine. I probably would have been fine too, if I wasn't me. But as anyone who has known me for any amount of time will tell you, sports and I just don't get a long. Not because I don't enjoy them, but because my body doesn't like to let me enjoy them. =P

Anyhow, we went up to Sundace Ski Resort with Andrew's brother, Alex and a couple of his roommates. Andrew and I got on the ski lift and I was feeling pretty nervous. Andrew tried to instruct me on how to get off the ski lift properly but when it came down to it...I failed to get off at all. haha! Andrew got off just fine...but I couldn't get off and had to ride all the way to the top of the mountain! I waited there for andrew to come back up to meet me and luckily I didn't have to wait long because they let him back on the lift at the first stop.

Andrew gave me a quick lesson on how to ski and we started down the mountain. Um...yeah...something about myself...I'm afraid of speed! So I started going pretty fast and I freaked out. I was doing pretty good and was enjoying myself but with each turn I gained speed and I felt like I couldn't control myself anymore and I panicked. So what does one do when they are afraid of going too fast? They slow down right? Well...I tried to slow down but that didn't work so I tried to sit down. BAD IDEA.

My momentum carried me over and I twisted and dislocated my knee. OUCH! It hurt like crazy. Poor Andrew...why do I always have to make him worry!?! He helped me get my skis off and a ski patrol guy came upon us soon after the incident. I said that I couldn't move my leg, which was true...til I moved my leg to prove my point. Then all the pain vanished! The bad thing about hyperflexibility is that you dislocate things easily. The good thing about it, is they pop back into place easily. So I popped my leg back into place and I was fine. I didn't feel like I could make it down the mountain though so ski patrol took me down.

Andrew helped me get to the lodge and sat around with me for a while. He was super worried over me but I was more worried that he was wasting all his skiing time with me in the lodge, so I told him to go back out with Alex. After some time he agreed but he came back to check on me every now and again. He still felt way bad for weeks I think but I told him to just give it up and laugh about it cuz I was fine. =P And despite my injury, I had fun and I think I'll try again next year...but this time I'll try on the bunny hill =P

The next day I was doomed to sitting in my apartment writing a stupid paper...then on Sunday, I went to Edward Beckstead's baby blessing! Hooray!!! After the blessing, I stuck around for Emily's birthday party. It was really fun. I love Clarissa's kids, they are so cute! It was fun to sit and hold Edward while watching Emily run around the room. We stayed for a really long time because I was avoiding my paper. =P Finally I had to go so we said goodbye and Andrew dropped me off at home so I could finish. I did finish. At 7am Monday morning.

But who really cared!?! My last paper of the semester was done and over with! Unfortunately I was so burned out that I couldn't manage to bring myself to write anything ever again...including my blog! So there you have it. That's why I haven't written in so long!

The next weekend I went hiking in rock canyon with Andrew. It was so fun and I got to use my new camel pack! hooray! We wandered from the path soon after entering the canyon and clambered up the face of a cliff fairly directly below Squaw Peak. We mostly followed Alex and quite often wondered who was more stupid, Alex and his roommates for climbing the cliff in the first place, or us for following. But it was super fun and I got lots of good pictures! if you wanna see them all they are on facebook, there are simply too many to post in this blog. I'll give you the link. The View From Saturday When we got to the top, it was an amazing view! We could see all of provo, orem, and all the way to Point of the Mountain. Alex and his roommates continued climbing, Andrew and I stayed where we were and took pictures. It was a delicate balance, setting up and focusing the camera, then running to get in the picture before the timer went off. But we managed ^_^

After coming off the mountain we decided that it was such a beautiful day that we just had to have a picnic! So we threw together a lunch and hopped in the car to see where we would end up. We ended up up Provo Canyon just past Vivian Park. The problem? While it was a beautiful day in the valley...up the canyon it was just a little bit cold. So, we did what we could and improvised. After putting the front passengers seat down, we sat in the back seat of the car and had our picnic! It was so fun and it definitely created some good memories. Why do things the normal boring way when you can be creative? I love being flexible!

That night we went to see the play that Rebekah was directing and we got her a beautiful bouquet of pink roses! I was jealous and almost kept them for myself...but instead I took myself and Andrew out for steak at Carrabbas! Oh how I love Carrabbas! I'm eternally thankful to John Powell for introducing me to the place and eternally grateful to my dad for contributing to the part of my gene pool that makes me love a good steak cooked medium rare! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! I'm so very glad too that Andrew enjoyed Carrabba's as well, it made it ten times better. ^__^

So that's my life up til this point. Finals are coming up soonish here so I wouldn't expect terribly regular updates, but I'll do my best!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Cookies!?!?