Sunday, April 11, 2010

Episode 17: In which Jessica fails ANOTHER chem test and goes to General Conference!

HOORAY FOR SUNDAYS! Especially Sundays that you play phone tag with your boyfriend on. *sigh* no, that's not really fun at all, but I guess it can't be helped some times.

So now I get to catch you up on my life for the last couple weeks. Really, its been studying and failing classes. Not so much fun but if you ask me if I care I'll probably tell you no. If you watch me though, I probably care more than I let on. But first the fun stuff!

So the beginning of April is always a really fun time in Mormon Culture. Its GENERAL CONFERENCE!

Andrew and I really wanted to go to conference but we couldn't secure tickets. So instead we turned our thoughts to the upcoming mission reunion! Who doesn't look forward to a chance to see President Hill right? About a week before conference however, Candace offered us their Sunday Afternoon tickets to conference. I was sooo happy!

So I waited excitedly for conference weekend! Unfortunately, before we can have the good in life, we have to endure the bad, right? Well...the bad came in the form of a Chemistry test the day before the reunion. I studied all week for it and I felt pretty good about it. I even did my chemistry homework without Andrew there to help me! (Which was probably good because he was actually busy as well that week with his own homework). The day of the test I studied hard and felt pretty good about the test. It was a short test so I finished in about an hour. I thought everything through and had some semblance of confidence when I turned it in. That semblance of confidence disappeared once I saw my score. ANOTHER 58. AUGH.

Normally Andrew waits for me at the bottom of the stairs in the testing center when I have a chem test but he didn't expect me to be done so fast so I found him in the bookstore. We walked to a couch and sat down in heavy silence for about 10 minutes before I was finally able to say anything. When I was able to say anything, it came out more in sobs than words, but he was patient and just hugged me until I calmed down. He never said a word and even when I spoke he just listened. It was just what I needed, I didn't want anyone to tell me how to study better, or to tell me I'd do great next time...I just wanted a hug.

After I got that I was all better and started looking forward to my mission reunion again!

The mission reunion was so fun! We drove up with Josh Doying, Jessica Topham, and Scott "hopscotch" Metts. (I made up the name "Hopscotch" on the way up to the reunion =P ) It was really fun just to listen to those three in the back seat. At the reunion I got to see Erica! And I saw Sister Eddington and Swasey shimai! It was so fun! I typically don't like hanging out with the sisters but there were a few I got along really well with. Sister Eddington was one of them. We were never companions but I loved her and always looked forward to seeing her at taikais (conferences) and stuff! And of course it was spectacular to see President Hill, even if he did lecture all of us on getting married. =P First he had all the married people stand, then the engaged people, then he asked everyone who was thinking about engagement to stand...no one stood up. =P Andrew pointed out that ALL of us should have stood since we should all want to get married at some point. Haha. I have a funny boyfriend. My mom said the same thing about standing up though when I told her. I guess they're right. =P

The next day, I made waffles and Andrew and Alex and his roommate, Alex, came over to watch conference. I love making breakfast! too bad breakfast comes in the morning...cuz its my favorite meal to cook. Life is cruel sometimes. But everyone liked the waffles and everyone loved conference! I took so many notes during the first session! I had to give it up over the second session so that I could pay attention...though I have to admit I fell asleep during Elder Perry and Elder Christofferson's talks. I woke up just in time to hear Elder Aoyagi. It was so fun because I knew details of the story he told about meeting his wife, that he didn't divulge in conference, all because I served in his ward in Chiba and heard the story first hand! It was so fun to see him speaking at conference!!!

After conference was over for Saturday (for the girls anyhow) I went out Easter dress shopping with Rebekah, Kaylynne, and Elizabeth! It was so fun! We tried on all kinds of dresses and we all found something. I wasn't even looking for anything because I was trying to save money, but I ended up buying a really cute white dress after about 2 hours of thinking about it out loud. I think my roommates told me to buy it just to shut me up. After we found out dresses, we tried on prom dresses...which isn't as fun as it used to be, now that I can't even fake wearing an immodest dress. I can put them on but I cannot come out of the dressing room. The other girls took pictures and had fun though. The picture here is a full length shot of my adorable dress...obviously it was not taken the night I bought it, but I wore it to conference the next day. =P

After that we ran to payless shoes and Rebekah and Kaylynne got shoes to match their outfits. I found some really cute sandals but I managed to hold myself back.

After we got home, Andrew came over again and we talked about conference and he shared his notes from priesthood session. This was much nicer than having to chase him around the church begging for copies of the priesthood session talks like I did last year. =P

The next day, I made french toast. (see? what did I tell you about cooking breakfast?) Andrew came over and we watched half of the Sunday morning session of conference before getting in the car and going up to Salt Lake. It was beautiful day. There was snow on the ground but it was quickly melting. and when I say quickly, I mean there was a literal waterfall coming down out of the tree outside my apartment. I listened to conference while Andrew drove. He was trying to listen too, but he couldn't devote as much attention to it. That's me in the car on the way to conference. I had to take a picture before my hair went flat because it was threatening to do so.(look! I'm wearing my seat belt!)

Conference was AMAZING. We were in the terrace level but still not too far from the stand. I could actually see President Monson's face. Not in detail, but I could tell it was him. (and not just cuz he was sitting in the Prophet's chair). One thing I remember distinctly from conference is how absolutely silent the room got when President Monson walked in. It is amazing that that many people can shut up so suddenly. I know, I'm being totally irreverent by saying "shut up" but that's what we all did! We stopped talking instantaneously and stood up! The Spirit in the room, though it was there before, was SO super strong, it was almost hard to breathe! Amazing deshita!

All of the talks this conference were sooo good. There was a definite theme running through all of them about the importance of Family and raising a righteous posterity. The thing I liked about this conference was that I gleaned something from every talk. I like to write questions when I take notes so I got a lot of "How can I do this better" questions. I plan to make questions of my notes and work on one question every two weeks or so until the next conference in October. I don't know if it's that I prepared better for this conference than I have before or what but I got sooooo much out of conference it was amazing! I haven't gotten this much out of conference since the MTC! I love it! And it was just the thing I needed to recharge my spirits after the never ending studying!

After conference was over we took pictures around the conference center and visited temple square and stuff. Actually we visited temple square before conference but who's counting right? We even found a Japanese sister (no...we surprisingly weren't actively searching for one...but we found her anyhow.) She was from Matsudo ward in our mission. Fun fun! After the picture taking and what not we went to Andrew's aunt's house for Easter dinner. It was really fun, I feel really comfortable around his family...even though to be honest, it was mostly me, Andrew, and Alex talking to each other. =P But it was still nice and DEFINITELY nice to get out of Provo. I love Provo but I get cabin fever if I'm always within 10 minutes of home...

After dinner we drove up to the Draper temple and looked around a bit. We explored all those castles of homes that are being "built". I put that in quotes because while they are huge and lovely...they are also indefinitely on hold as far as building goes because they are perhaps TOO big and lovely...and the owners ran out of money to finish them. Too bad. I don't think I could have a large house...too much to clean.

This past week since conference has been uneventful on my end. The weather turned rather cold and nasty for a while, just as I was getting excited for it to get warm. I noticed something about the BYU campus and its that when the sun comes out, all the students pop out of their holes and lay all over the grass. It's like groundhog day with college students! If the college student sees his shadow, spring has come! haha! But Andrew and I have done our share of enjoying the sun. The other week we were laying out on the lawn and reading Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy together and just generally enjoying life. It's so good to have a friend with whom you can do anything at all. It's basically all I ever wanted from life. ^__^

But I didn't have a whole lot to do this week. I pretty much gave up on chemistry so I stopped stressing over it. I went to the campus accessibility center and got re-diagnosed with ADHD inattentive type. Oh boy. I got some accommodations for testing and whatnot, but a lot of good it will do me now that I have no tests left at the testing center right? haha.

I got registered for my classes and planned my life. That was pretty exciting. I'm taking Anatomy and Physics as well as New Testament and Family Finance. I'm actually excited for my Family Finance class. I think it will be nice to go to class where I can see where I will actually use the information in real life. I know I'm a nerd but finances are extremely concerning to me lately and I would like to know how to budget properly and whatnot. Physics and Anatomy I'm not so excited for but oh well. I changed my major to Exercise Science (not official yet) and I want to go on to get my masters in occupational therapy. Me...a masters...what?! Who'd have thought. Oh well!

I can also get an occupational therapy assistant's license now with my associates and start working at an actual career. I have to figure out how to do that because I think that will help a LOT in the long run. Eventually I hope to be married and have a family but having a career until that happens doesn't seem like too bad of a plan to me I suppose. And I hope to be able to get my masters little by little if I have a family.

See, told you I had a plan. It feels really nice to have a plan for my future, and a solid one at that. ^__^

Other than that, the tables have turned and Andrew has been the busy one. It's been nice to have the roles switched a little. Now I get to be the support instead of the supported. I don't mind being the supported, but I like to be the support every now and again too. ^__^

This Saturday was SUPER fun. We rented a tandem bike from the BYU bike shop and went biking. It was a little bit chilly at first but the weather warmed up really nicely to about 68 degrees. Oh it was lovely indeed. We laid on the grass and took a nap in the sun for about half an hour (don't worry, we had sunscreen). We took the trail along the Provo river. It was so nice, and it will only get more beautiful in the summer when the blackberry bushes have blackberries on them and when the trees are covered in leaves. Oh there are SO many trees along that river it HAS to be beautiful in summer and fall! We'll have to go again sometime.

Tandem bike riding was super fun but it definitely takes some getting used to and it takes a LOT of trust. I was a little afraid of falling at first but eventually I learned to trust Andrew and once I relaxed it was a lot easier. Even though the person in the back can't steer, when they are tense it throws the balance of the bike completely off. I recommend the activity for anyone but engaged couples particularly. I think it's good therapy.

We had a lot of fun riding our bike and sitting on the grass and talking. I love talking with Andrew...I never run out of things to say. I wonder if I annoy him...don't think so. ^__^ He says he likes talking to me too, even though I do most of the talking. I don't mind that he's quieter. It's never an annoying quiet, and I never feel like I have to pull his arm just to get an answer out of him. He's really not as quiet as he likes to think he is to be honest. That's why I like talking to him so much! We also walked along the shore of the lake and skipped rocks and stuff. Well, he skipped rocks...I threw them and made them go "ker-plunk". Yeah...I'm like NO good at skipping rocks at all anymore. I mostly hopped around looking cute and finding good skipping rocks to give to Andrew. Yeah, we're an amazing team. =P

Today was beautifully overcast and surprisingly warm. I didn't take any pictures of how cute I looked but trust me, I was adorable. I had my hair in Heidi braids and I was wearing my new dress. I was wanting for daisies in my hair all day, they would have rounded the whole outfit out perfectly. I wrote in my blogs, just for you mom, and waited like all night for Andrew to come over. He finally came over just before 10 and we went on a walk. Best thing ever...it was STILL warm! Oh how I love spring! And I love going on walks with Andrew and talking with him. Have I mentioned enough how fun it is?! I would suggest that everyone in the world find the kind of friend I found in Andrew. I can't tell you how much fun and how relaxing it is to be with someone who is your friend no matter what you say or do and with whom you can do anything and enjoy in one hundred percent.

I've been going out with Andrew for a month and a half as of this past Friday and I can easily say I've enjoyed every moment. We're very similar but when similarities wore off (and they wore off quickly) I've learned that differences make things the most fun. I suck at pretty much everything he enjoys, but it's still fun because he never makes me feel bad for it and it's fun to see him having fun. I think I'm becoming a more well rounded person. ^__^

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Cookies!?!?