Turns out I got up TOO early cuz I had to take a detour and walk around campus a bit before going in. I got up to take a shower and carefully did my hair up in Heidi braids and found a nice flower to stick behind my ear. I put on my white springy dress and my new sandals and I was ready to go! I'd just like you all to know how amazing I looked...that's all. I was very proud of myself...that's the first complete outfit I've ever put together! and guess what...I didn't take one picture of it. I'm such a failure =P
Walking through campus was good for my nerves. I was rather nervous to meet Andrew's family...I just get that way when meeting new people. Plus I was afraid they wouldn't like me. You get one boyfriend whose mom doesn't like you and you're ruined for life...even if it turns out she was totally insane and probably wouldn't like anyone =P But all the same, the walk helped a lot. The sun was shining and the temperature was perfect. It was nice to walk past all the trees that were all full of blossoms and just relax before walking into the building that church was in.
Andrew played wonderfully, though I have my suspicions he was nervous. Poor thing. He did really really well though, I thought. He said some technical stuff to his parents about what went wrong but I know nothing about stringed instruments or really music at all, so it all went over my head. I thought it sounded amazing ^_^
His parents were really nice and I felt instantly at ease around them so all my worrying was for nothing. Andrew told me that too but I am really good at stressing...its a class they teach here at BYU. Stressing 101...offered, EVERY HOUR OF THE DAY!!!
After Sacrament, I stayed around for the rest of church and sat through the most interesting lesson on Celestial Marriage I have ever heard. Seriously, here are the two most perplexing questions I heard during the lesson. "What is the difference between a celestial marriage and a civil marriage? Shouldn't the commitments be the same and why do we push so much for the temple marriage" and "Why marriage at all"
To the first, I will give the benefit of the doubt and assume she is a recent convert who doesn't yet understand what a temple marriage means. To the second, I simply say stop being selfish. I could go on for ages answering these two questions (in all my infinite wisdom and experience about marriage of course =P) But I'm too tired. I'll just say that I learned a thing or two on my mission from having a companion, and that was that everything is so much more fun and meaningful when you have something to share it with, but it doesn't work unless you think of the other person...so who cares if right now you can spend money when you want and hang out with your friends when you want. You can have your best friend with you for eternity, how is that not worth all the sacrifice in the world? And a better question is 'IS it a sacrifice?' =P
Anyhow, moving on. We went to the condo after church and had dinner there. It was really nice just to sit around the dinner table as a family...even thought I'm technically not family, but it was a family dinner so that's what I'm saying. I really do feel at ease around his family. After dinner we had dessert and Andrew's extended family came over. I was for the most part still fairly at ease...but Andrew and I were asleep on the couch for most of it to be honest. I think I only woke up because people were screaming in shock at his little brother, Eric's card tricks. He has some pretty amazing tricks.
I'm too tired now to go into huge amounts of detail on the rest of the week, at least not in the usual "day by day, hour by hour" fashion that I'm used to writing in. I'll just mention the things we did this week.
We went to Jump On It which was really fun and totally worth ditching my cleaning and packing. It was also a perfect way to recover from my finals which ended on Monday. I took my 7am chem final...and got a 43 on it. Oh boy. But jumping on trampolines was a beautiful way to recover from that and realize that it was over and I really just didn't care anymore. No grade is worth your mental health. It was also a great way to run away from my cleaning and packing. I ended up doing that til 4am because I ditched out on it but oh well. =P
Speaking of girls and boys being different, its become rather a source of amusement for me. Specially since I've been dating Andrew for 2 months today now and honestly, its become more interesting to see how we're different than how we're similar. Anyhow, so here is a cross section of me and Andrew in the car. I'll give you two scenarios. In the first, I start the conversation. In the second, he starts it. (these happened on the same day by the way.)
Scenario 1:"What do you think is the best thing that your parents have ever done for you?"
Scenario 2: "If you had a truck full of pigeons and you somehow got them all to fly, does the mass of the truck change"
Just so you know, it turns out that Myth Busters tested that and it does not in fact change.
But seriously, boys and girls are so hilariously different.
And also so you know, I believe Andrew found more reasons to like the movie than just the 3-D...it's just that I didn't understand what made 3-D so great. I still think it might have been the same in NOT 3-D, but as my dad pointed out, I haven't seen it in NOT 3-D.
If you're looking for fun in the Salt Lake area I would recommend Boondocks. It could get a little pricey, but we easily spent at least 4 hours there before even considering going home. Go-karts were especially fun and I actually managed to get my car to drift around some of the corners. The boys went on the go-karts twice, but the girls tried the bumper boats which were fun too.
One day, we split up the boys and girls and the guys went to Sportsman's Warehouse and REI while we went to Gardner Village. It's a cute little shopping center that looks like an old pioneer village and they all sell cute little crafts like quilts and stuff. It had an old fashioned candy shop too with free fudge samples. Who could ask for a better girls day out? Free fudge and a pioneer era atmosphere!?! I'm sold. Normally I don't like shopping but this was really really fun. ^___^ So fun in fact that when we came home, we continued our girls day by watching Sense and Sensibility. SO good. Andrew totally didn't get it...he joined us halfway through. I had to train him on how to watch a Jane Austen movie. It was really funny actually. Oh he makes me laugh.
It was also really fun spending time talking with his mom and sister. Of course his mom wanted all the details about how Andrew and I met...because look at that, boys and girls are different and what I was all too happy to supply with plenty of detail, Andrew apparently left at "we went to the temple" =P
When we weren't out doing things we were just relaxing at the condo, playing games and watching movies. I learned a ton of new games while I was there. OK, really I only learned Bananagrams and Canasta. Canasta was kind of hard for me to grasp...but I've been going over it again and again in my head and I think I pretty much have it. Maybe I should teach my family so I can practice. Bananagrams was REALLY fun, but I'm a snob and I tend to save all my tiles to spell words like "epoch" and "converses" and consequently lose the game because I'm not going fast enough. =P
I also watched The Blind Side, which was a movie TOTALLY worth owning, and Andrew and I watched Angels and Demons earlier in the week. That was pretty good...nothing like the Davinci Code but it had a twist at the end that I'm sad to say I never saw coming. I'm not so sure how that works...I have to blame not thinking enough when I watch movies and a job well done in the casting department.
We also played a few video games (we played Big Brain Academy...which I somehow got REALLY slow at) and we sat in the hot tub. It was SO relaxing and there were cool lights everywhere! I think it was one of my favorite parts of the whole week because it gave us a chance to stop moving and just talk. Andrew and I also got that when we drove down to Provo on Friday for my old MTC companion, Kiku Beaufort's, wedding reception. Well, I guess she's not Kiku Beaufort anymore cuz she's married but OK.
Here is once again where girls and guys are different. Andrew managed to get it so that he took me down to Provo in the BMW. He was so excited about it I didn't dare puncture his dreams by telling him I had no idea why he was so excited. OK, I'm not that nice. I told him that I just didn't get it...to me it was a car. But he was so cute about it that it made me happy just to see him so excited =P
I left for Arizona on Saturday night so starting on Friday, we started to feel the impending doom upon us of being separated for the whole stupid summer, which is why we spent the last 48 hours or so, talking. I'm not going to lie...getting on that plane Saturday night was one of the hardest things I've done. I've now talked to him at least 3 times a day since then and still feel like its not enough. This is going to be a very very looooooooooooooooooooooooong summer. -__- Thank goodness for Skype!
Hopefully things will get better...he's starting school tomorrow and I'm going to Japan on Thursday. Then I will hopefully get a job when I come home and time will go faster. I think? I'm already planning on going to see him over the Fourth of July though. Oh my goodness I miss him!!!! ...and its only been 2 days. AUUUUUUUUUUGH!
Its ok...that which does not kill us makes us stronger, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Cookies!?!?