SO! Backpacking! It was splendid! I can't tell you how much fun I had but I shall try. And PS. Something I didn't mention in my post yesterday because I didn't realize it until about 10:30 at night...Yesterday (July 1st) was the day Andrew proposed to me last year! :)
| My favorite picture of andrew yet. :) |
Andrew and I got kind of a late start, I think we started up the mountain at about 8ish. We got to the top of the Y at about 9, just in time to sit and watch the sunset, then we headed back into the canyon. We still had about half an hour of decent light after the sun went down and then we pulled out our new headlamps. (We figured we'd better buy some since we'd inevitably be hiking in the dark. It wasn't too much of a problem since the trail is well established.
| So yeah...I know this isn't a sunset picture. oh well. =P |
We pulled out the sandwich that andrew had bought before we left and ate dinner in our sleeping bags in the tent. We had fruit gummies as dessert but when I was looking, andrew ate mine. WHY DOES HE ALWAYS EAT MY FOOD WHEN I'M LOOKING?! And more importantly, WHY DON'T I NOTICE!? He did this with my otter pop too. *sigh*
| Tired morning faces |
I woke up and my shirt was still completely wet from sweating the day before and now it was freezing because it had been sitting outside all night so I opted for the change of clothes that I was now thankful that andrew had suggested I bring. In dry clothes, I was quite a bit warmer. (and no, I didn't sleep in the wet clothes, I had pajamas)
| Our campsite |
What took us about 2ish hours to do the night before, took about an hour and a half coming out, maybe just an hour. We made it down the trail from the Y in less than half an hour, andrew was timing us. Thanks to my new hiking boots, I didn't worry about running down the trail because I had more traction than I do in my tennis shoes.
We got off the mountain at about 11:15.
| Just a few of the wildflowers we saw |
| Sego Lily |
All in all I had a blast! And I'm super proud of myself. It was my first time backpacking and I think I did really well. My pack was probably about 20 pounds so it wasn't THAT heavy, but I think I did well with it. I got really tired the first night about 50 feet before the meadow. I told Andrew "I don't remember the meadow being this far" (We hiked there on our first date) and then almost immediately after, walked into the meadow. =P
This morning, even though my pack had lost about 3 pounds due to water consumption...just so you all know, Andrew just ate all my peachies in front of me...and I didn't notice til just now. Anyhow, even though my pack was probably a bit lighter, it was hard to get on because of the bruises on my hips from the day before. The first half mile of the hike was just killing my hips, but then they got used to the pain and I was fine after that.
I'm definitely looking forward to when I get my backpack, because it is specifically built for women, so hopefully the comfort around the hips will be a little better. I'll probably still get bruised, but I'm still hoping its better.
| Coming out of the canyon. What fun! |
I highly reccomend it. :)
and just so you can be proud of me mom and dad, I packed out all my trash AND any trash that I found along the way. :) I'm a good camper :) And also I actually helped take down camp =P
If you want to see more pictures, you can look at my backpacking set on Flickr.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Cookies!?!?