I think its ironic that on the 4th of July we celebrate freedom and independence...but...I'm currently under house arrest. That's what you get for living 2 blocks from University Avenue I suppose.
Since last night, From Center to Bulldog, the streets have been lined with people camping out to get good spots for the parade. This morning, we had to take a mile and a half detour just to get Andrew to work and then it took me 45 minutes to get home (usually a 15 minute drive). By the time I got home, our recently empty street was lined with cars and stragglers who didn't camp out were walking towards the parade in droves. With all the streets blocked off and people everywhere, I can't really go anywhere, so I'm under house arrest.
Why am I not at the parade? Because I'm not 10 feet tall, I wouldn't see anything anyway.
I guess it doesn't matter, its the 4th of July...where would I really go anyway? Everything is closed.
At least its overcast and cool today. I spent the last half hour in the yard watering my garden and FINALLY transplanting my basil. I doubt it will do much NOW since the tomato plant has flowers all over it...the basil won't really infuse the tomatoes with anything...but I had to cut it back somehow. I still have half of it growing inside but the heat outside was wilting it so I brought it inside. The only window we have to put it in faces north so there isn't much sun but it was doing well. Unfortunately, the plants on the inside weren't doing so well and when I rotated the pot, everything wilted. So in a last ditch effort, I transplanted half of the basil to the area surrounding my tomatoes. Hopefully, the tomato plant will help keep the basil cool.
In the meantime, I tried to be gentle when I transplanted it...but I'm afraid it might die anyhow. I should have taken a clipping and bloomed it in water....but this is a learning experience. Next year the garden will be better.
I'm going to go eat granola and clean the house now. When Andrew gets off work we're going to the airport to pick up his sister! :)
ha. we would've gone to the parade IF the van carrying us home showed any problems. We left the morning of the 4th. If there WERE any problems though... big trouble. cuz everything was closed. Is Andrew's sister visiting for a while?
ReplyDelete