Remember the car that we spent about a month working on? Hint: It's pictured right here
Andrew has been enjoying driving it, especially on the twisty canyon roads at night.
Before we go further let me assure you that Andrew did NOT drive the car off a cliff and that we are both perfectly intact. The car however...is not. Well...it mostly is.
Let me start at the beginning. We parked the car at about 10pm on Monday night in front of the house like always. Tuesday I had a doctors appointment after work so I was going to take my car to work so that I could drive there instead of walking (Andrew usually drops me off on his way to work). We walked outside and Andrew asked why the car was so far forward when he remembered parking it directly in front of the walkway to our apartment.
As I walked closer to the car I saw pieces of amber and red plastic on the ground and my chest seized up in fearful anticipation. As I rounded the car I saw this:
| like how I put a danger sign over the license plate? =P |
So in all the times I've accidentally called 911 this week (I do it all the time at work because 91 is the code to dial out) the time I legitimately called the cops, ironically, I did not call 911, we just looked up the police department online...I mean...the car wasn't going anywhere obviously. =P
The police came, took a look at the car, and then noticed a car parked not too far from our house (try next door) that suspiciously had its right front headlight all smashed in. Coincidence? I think not; and neither did the police. (you can actually see the white car in the picture...its parked by the blue dumpster).
When we found pieces of their hubcap that fit perfectly, the police filed a hit and run report and we went inside to wait. When the police finally called, they had arrested two (still drunk people) and the good news was that they WERE insured! (usually hit and runs happen because they don't have insurance). Either way, since we knew who did it, things could get settled in court...but them having insurance makes things much better and easier.
So now we're waiting to hear back from the insurance company. The car isn't worth much monetarily but everyone in my family is very much sentimentally attached to it so while it will probably be called a total loss, we'll take the money we get and try to restore it.
The good news is that Andrew and I drove it yesterday and it drives perfectly and there are no alignment issues or anything. So thank goodness for small miracles, but it would have been more preferrable had it not happened at all.
And as is tradition when we get in an accident, we went out to a nice dinner =P. After our accident in February we went to Tucanos, this time we went to Texas Roadhouse. There is nothing like steak to ease your mind. :)

Texas Roadhouse rolls... ahh....
ReplyDeleteGlad you two are safe!! and good thing they were insured! Hopefully you'll get something back from them that'll help you restore your car!
Poor poor car :( Hopefully it'll be restored to its beauty soon!
ReplyDelete