So Sunday night, Andrew gave me a blessing before school. Of course I didn't go write it down and so now I don't really recall what was said. But I'll say that I had a pretty decent feeling about this semester. This will be the semester that I get an A at BYU.
I made lunch, went to bed early...ish. Andrew and I stayed up talking about the coming semester and stuff so I got in bed at 10...who knows when we actually turned out the light.
This morning we woke up and it was stiflingly hot and humid in the apartment. The walk to school was a welcome activity as outside was probably about 65 degrees and the sun hadn't quite peeked out over the mountain.
We were going to ride our bikes to school but Andrew's tires were flat so we walked. As we reached campus, I was devastated to realize that we had left the lunches that I made the night before, at home! Not so bad for Andrew as this semester he isn't rushing from school to work and has an hour between the two. Bad for me because from the moment I leave the apartment in the morning, I don't get home until at least 5pm.
I met Andrew after class and after work, and we went to our class together. Intro to Natural Hazards. Floods, quakes, fires, landslides, hurricanes...how can this class not be cool? It'll probably be a good class, and the teacher, while not wildly funny and well traveled like my geography teacher at MCC, seems good.
Then it was off to Drawing. I should explain that thus far, Andrew had racked up a few expenses far and above text books...additional class materials that obviously weren't on the book list but are expensive as heck. Microprocessing units, etc. These additional expenses could only be paid via your student card too...which is annoying.
Anyhow, so I went to drawing and of course, I have my own long list of expenses (I think Andrew and I might be in the two most expensive majors in the school)...many of which ALSO are bought through use of my student card. Come on seriously? Can't you just swipe your student card and have it post to your university account, at which point you can pay with a debit card?
Why?
All I have to say about drawing so far, besides the exorbitant expenses...is that I am without a doubt the oldest person in the class, minus the teacher. One look around and excepting mine, not one wedding or engagement ring (not that THAT indicates age at BYU)...giggly girls...and saddening comments from the corners of the room
Girl 1: I'm from Reno
Girl 2: Oh I have a good friend from Reno! Name Lastname.
Girl 1: Oh? I don't know him...what high school did he go to?
Girl 2: I dunno...but you probably never met him. He's old...he's 25...er 24.
(I think I nearly keeled over when I heard that...)
Teacher: I just talked to my son, he's on his way to the Chili Concepcion Mission
Girl 1: Oh my friend is going to that mission, he just went into the MTC!
Girl 2: Yeah! I have a friend who just got called there!
As I looked around the room at the few young men that there were (3 of them) I couldn't make out a single garment line. I'm willing to bet not a soul in that room is over the age of 19. But I would lose that bet...because I am.
As depressing as that sounds...and as much as it makes me want to cry...its also slightly humorous...in a very sad sort of way.
Anyhow, class got out about 2 hours early...because we have no supplies, what are we supposed to do?
So I rented my locker (I was fortunate enough to find a large one right near my classroom...which conveniently is the classroom I use for BOTH my art classes), looked at art supplies in the bookstore, and then came home.
It was still hot so I jury-rigged a swamp cooler (bigger and better than last time) up in the living room and plan to relax by reading my book.
Speaking of books, I just finished "the Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton and now I'm reading "The Bee Keeper's Apprentice". Both come highly recommended. The Forgotten Garden was a little bit darker (though not even as dark as "Northanger Abbey"...which wasn't really that dark) and has wonderful themes of family relationships and the need for human connection woven throughout it. It has been a long time since I read a book that I've thought of since finishing it...but I finished it last week and I still think of it constantly.
The Beekeeper's Apprentice is a Sherlock Holmes spin off kind of novel about a girl who becomes Holmes' apprentice. The book is about the girl, so fans of Holmes won't get offended by out of characterness...though I've only read one Holmes book I think the character of Sherlock Holmes is well written anyhow...but what do I know?
I'm not done but I highly recommend it too.
On that note, I'm going to go read...because sadly...Andrew won't be home for another 3 and a half hours. :(
Well you are at BYU where very few girls don't get engaged quickly. Plus many of them leave BYU after marriage haha. It's sad but that's how I've seen it play out a lot. Good luck in classes!!!
ReplyDelete