If anyone knows me at all, I'm sure they know I'm a little bit obsessed with America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated. It started with a video game I bought myself for my birthday, and quickly escalated from there when I bought this book.
I read it as a bedtime story every night until I got married. I think my roommates laughed at me. Actually I know at least one of my roommates laughed at me. It was a cold November evening and she was just settling into bed when I exclaimed, "BRILLIANT! I know how to make moist pork chops now!"
And I do. Not because the recipe told me how, but because science told me how.
Those who may be unfamiliar with America's Test Kitchen won't know it, but not only are the recipes tried and true, all the science and reasoning behind everything is also written in the cookbook. It wasn't recipes I was reading as bedtime stories, it was science.
Now, I hate science as much as the next person...in school...but once you find the science that suits you, I guess it just turns into magic!
If anyone knows me at all, they will also know that on Pinterest, I pin food almost exclusively. Again, just a tad bit obsessed.
But recipes online aren't necessarily tried and true. Sometimes, crappy cooks post recipes and they need a little more science to make them actually work. *cough cough* allrecipes.com *cough* I can't tell you how many recipes I've tried off that site that were lacking on so many levels. (to be fair, I don't think anyone is silly enough to pin those recipes...but maybe I just don't even look at them)
But I just had an epiphany last night! I can pin all I want and be confident in the result (when I actually get around to making it). I know how they WHY behind everything that goes on in my kitchen! I learned principles from that book that I can now apply to anything! I know how to cook!!! :)
I know, you're all laughing at me just like my roommates did when I bought that cookbook. But trust me, there is a reason America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Illustrated hold prominent places on my bookshelves.
Andrew, who eats my food every night, isn't laughing. Except when I do stupid things like get jalapeno oil in my nose and my eyes water so bad that I turn off the oven and turn on the stove instead of the other way around...and then put my oven mitt on the stove and catch it on fire.
Hey, cookbooks can't teach me EVERYTHING, ok?! =P
Anyhow, I highly recommend at least checking one of the ATK cookbooks out at the library. I currently have 9 out and 3 on reserve =P
...Oh....I now feel incredibly self-conscious about posting recipes on my blog...
ReplyDeleteI suppose I should actually learn HOW to cook but...it just takes so much time and I'm not good at science! :P
However, it is good to know that I could probably make all of the recipes on your blog and (excluding my own personal screw ups) know that the science behind them is sound and I won't explode the kitchen (...anymore than I already do). :P
lol! Silly Kaylynne, you don't have to worry about that. If you're concerned because I bashed allrecipes.com its because a lot of the time I find recipes that have such potential...and then they are flavorless and well...Mormon. (Have you ever noticed that before the day of food blogs and pinterest, despite our homemaker training, Mormons were on the whole really lame cooks? Meat and potatoes people.
DeleteAaaaaanyhow, that was a random tangent. Don't feel self concious.
I've mostly learned to cook from doing it so technically you are learning how to cook. And the science isn't hard, its mostly just blind faith. "oh, they said this. clearly it is right". =P
And its ok, I have my own personal screw ups too. Note the note about jalepeno oil, my nose, and kitchen burners. =P
have you also noticed I rarely remember to close my parenthesis? =/
Deletelol This is true, Mormons aren't really known for being a particularly flavorful people. :p
ReplyDeleteWell...anyone could make that jalepeno-y mistake, I'm sure (I just...don't often cook with spices so I've lucked out in avoiding such a mistake).
And don't worry...I usually forget to close parentheses too.
oh its not the spices that get you. Those are safe. Unless you're inhaling them like...coke...in which case you have issues that I can't help you with. But beware the peppers. bewaaaaaaaaaaaaaaare. =P
Delete