Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Friday Night Confusion and a Soda Bar

Friday was an interesting evening. Mostly because Andrew was making a  WAY bigger deal out of our date night than normal. And we weren't going to do anything out of the ordinary either, we were just planning on watching a movie. Yes, movies are boring and it seems like that's all we do. But this was the first weekend since school started that we didn't have demands on our time and I felt like sitting around doing not much of anything. Except eating, I always want to do that.

Andrew started the conversation by telling me that if we went on a date on Friday, his test would be extended until 8pm the following day (it was going to close at 2 originally). I don't know what you got from that, but what I heard was "I don't have to take my test until 8 tomorrow, so we can go on a date tonight". Confused, I didn't pay much attention because I personally had something else planned for Saturday afternoon. (Can't tell you what it is yet, but I'm excited. I'll have to wait for a while though because Andrew has a final next Saturday and a potential interview in Boise the Saturday following)

He continued to plan for us to go on a date on Friday and when we finally settled on getting a movie from redbox, he proceeded to try to transform our living room into a movie theater and asked if we had any popcorn. At this point I was VERY confused because normally, we watch movies on his laptop in bed because our bed is more comfy than our couch and his laptop has WAY better color than our TV. But who was I to complain about the effort he was putting forth?

As it turns out, what he had been TRYING to say earlier was that IF he went on a date on Friday and had photographic proof of it, his teacher would extend the deadline for his test until 8pm on Saturday. Good ol' BYU. =P So he was trying to make the living room photo-worthy. 

In the end we didn't do anything with the living room except put pillows on the coffee table so we could put our feet up since we can no longer fit side by side on the couch when we lay down. Something about my stomach getting in the way or something, I don't remember. =P

Instead, we went to redbox and borrowed World War Z and we went to a new place that just opened called "Pop 'n' Sweets". It's KIND of a soda bar. To be honest when I read about it on Yelp, I had more of a 1950's image in my head. They are supposed to have soda on tap and creamery ice cream to make floats. Well, they have that, but they don't have the atmosphere which was kind of sad. 

What they DO have though is more bottled sodas than I've ever seen in my life. They have an entire refrigerator dedicated to different types of root beer and another for different types of ginger ale/beer. And then they have a bunch of different kinds of sodas. I was actually pleased to see that there were only like 10 Jones sodas because you could easily claim to have like 500 different sodas and then have them all be Jones sodas. Boring.

In addition to the sodas, they have a million different kinds of candies. If you're familiar with European and Australian candies, they have those. They have some Asian candies, and they have quite a few nostalgic American candies. If you've ever been to Water 'n' Ice in Arizona, the selection of candy is quite similar.

Andrew got some Mexican candy that he used to get every time he went to visit his grandparents in Mexico and I got Crybabies bubble gum, just for old times sake (It's not as sour as I remember). Andrew got a white birch beer and I got a lemon lime soda with bitters in it. It was hard to make a decision with all the sodas (I don't even LIKE soda) but I was pleased with my choice. The whole thing was kind of pricey, coming out to 8 dollars total, but I still feel like we'd go back again. I mean, they kind of have a monopoly on sodas you can't find anywhere else. And let's face it, I'm curious.

They were still in the "getting set" up stage so there wasn't much room to sit. They DO have a bar to sit at, and there are a couple of booths which at the time were blocked by boxes of soda. But really, if you're just getting a bottled soda, it probably isn't terribly worth eating in, especially since the place is somewhat devoid of atmosphere. But it's still definitely worth trying out. And seriously, that soda that I got was soooooo good!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand that just totally turned into a restaurant review instead of a blog entry about my date. Whoops.

On the way home we picked up World War Z and chicken me is glad that we forgot to turn the lights off and were too lazy to do so after the movie started. As zombie movies go, it was incredibly tasteful. I wasn't grossed out too much, most of the gross stuff was just the zombies' eyes looked all crazy but they weren't rotting corpses and there wasn't much blood if there was any at all. I can't remember. The movie was mostly based on suspense and tension. But like I said, I'm a big chicken. And also, I am not even into zombies, I think they are lame. So the fact that I liked the movie probably says a lot.

However, it DID really get my adrenaline pumping and the fun thing about being pregnant is that what affects me, affects the baby. So, watching the movie wasn't terribly comfortable as I was frequently writhing around like a downed zombie because my baby would not sit still. So maybe zombie movies are best left to when you're NOT pregnant. The ironic thing about this being that I decided on World War Z because I decided that Les Miserables was NOT a good movie to watch in a pregnant and oft times emotional state.

Go figure.

Oh, and Andrew did get his test extended until 8pm on Saturday. His teacher also said we were cute. =P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Cookies!?!?