Friday, December 23, 2011

Episode 99: In Which A Lot of Food is Involved

Guess what! I've been married a year! It's great! I love it! :)

For our anniversary, Andrew and I did a 3 course fondue meal. We were gonna go to the Melting Pot but foolishly thought that it would be cheaper to do it ourselves. Well, lesson learned. It was the same price. But if we had done it as a group of 4-6 people it would have been much cheaper. Long story short, if we do it by ourselves again, we'll just go to the Melting Pot.

I won't go into much detail here but we'll just say it was amazing. We actually did the chocolate course last night because prep took so long that we didn't eat until 10 and we were full after the main course. We had an amazing cheddar fondue with cranberries and walnuts though and for the main course, we had chicken with an amazing island sauce to dip it in. Just trust me. It was amazing. Chocolate was called the "Flaming Turtle" because it was a chocolate caramel sauce with pecans that...you guessed it, we lit on fire.

I admit it, we chose that recipe purely so we could light it on fire. =P

But it was amazing. After the fruit ran out, we just ate it with spoons. =P

Monday, we had a combined family home evening with a couple of my old roommates and their husbands. I'm not gonna lie, it was fun but also slightly awkward. Mostly because I planned basically what to do...but as soon as everyone showed up my mind went blank and there was a lot of "so...thanks for coming...I guess we'll start?" going on. =P That and one of my friends said that her husband's shoes had broken because he "squats like an Asian" which wouldn't have been THAT awkward...if our other friend's husband wasn't Asian. =P

But who's counting right? =P

We decorated sugar cookies and I was pretty mad on Sunday when my sugar cookies didn't really turn out that well. But it turns out I'm not the only one who has problems with sugar cookies so I didn't feel so stupid. I don't think decorating sugar cookies at Christmas will be much of a tradition around the Powell house though.

Aside from that, there's not much else to say. I did finish all my finals...but I'm still waiting for grades. And I know you're still waiting for pictures of my art. Sorry, I'm still busy with Christmas stuff. I'm actually supposed to be sewing stockings right now. Tomorrow is Christmas Eve and we don't have stockings!

Truth be told though, I'm scared to start the stockings. I've never sewn anything by hand before (don't have a sewing machine, or know anyone with one) and of COURSE I chose the LINED stocking pattern!

So I'm kinda putting it off =P

Here, you can enjoy some pictures. :)

Spark. Our favorite restaurant!!! :)

Ugly sweater contest at the Powell family christmas party. I swear, mine was a steal at $3.00 for the exact sweater worn by Professor Umbridge in the HP movies. =P There was also a used tissue in the pocket and Andrew insists and old lady died in that sweater. I couldn't get it off fast enough after that.

Temple square. It was COLD!!!
preparing the cheese fondue

cheese fondue

Chicken. That sauce was AMAZING. Sorry, no pictures of the chocolate course...I was too busy worrying about blowing up the house to take pictures.

I look insane in this picture, but it is a good one of Andrew :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Cookies!?!?