Monday, January 23, 2012

Episode 102: In Which Jessica Sits on a Street Corner for 45 Minutes...in the Snow

Yep, you can call me what you like. I just sat on a street corner for 45 minutes in a snowstorm. I probably would have looked like a snowman by the end of it except that most of me was under an umbrella.

What was I doing on a street corner in a snowstorm? Taking pictures of course. I probably could have waited until the snow was done before I headed out there because the shutter speeds were so slow that you can't even tell that it is snowing...and by the time I got my perfect shot it was practically NOT snowing anymore...but whatever.

Anyhow, here's the shot I took!


Part of the reason I sat out there so long, was that I was trying to get a shot where all three lights showed up. It was tricky to time it and I oftentimes missed the red or green light. Ironically, after I got that last shot with all three lights in it...I decided that I liked this one better. =P

And for your viewing pleasure, here are some more long exposure shots I took with my new tripod. Hooray for tripods and hooray for wonderful husbands who give them to you for Christmas!

The first picture is one of the first ones I took, I was just messing around but it was kinda fun so I thought I'd show it off.

The second picture is one I took for an assignment in my class. It's pretty self explanatory but in case you wanted to know, that's my house, and my tree, and my husband looking through the window at me. :)

The last picture is actually handheld so you may have to forgive some camera shake. I took it on my way home tonight, it was one of those scenes where you have to take out your camera but you really can't bother with all the other equipment. I have some other things to say about that but I'll wait for you to comment, Kaylynne. =P

Oh yeah, and aside from cropping to straighten, there hasn't been any editing done to these. 





Edit: So I cropped this photo to come in closer and I like it, but I don't. I like it because now the focal point isn't that huge glaring light at the top...but now I don't like it because I can't figure out WHAT the focal point is. I guess the leaves and the falling snow lead you to the benches, but I guess its the camera shake that is throwing me off, it lacks focus. =P



4 comments:

  1. Lol, there's a reason I usually only have my camera and only 1 lens. :p

    That first shot is awesome!

    I like your other ones tho - the tree, was that a zoom in or out? And how long did Andrew sit for that one? :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok dumb, blogger finally put in a "reply" link...but it won't work! lame!

    Oh I only had my camera and only 1 lens with me, but I didn't want to take my tripod back out. It wouldn't have been a huge deal except that I was also holding an umbrella, and that complicates matters =P

    The tree was zooming out, you can see where it jerked to a stop at the end there =P

    The one with Andrew wasn't an excruciatingly long shot...it was a full moon and there were streetlights...I think it was only like 10 or so seconds. Of course, I took about 10 or so pictures too =P

    The thing that I was going to say about that last picture is that I think it would look better if I had come in tighter. Though without a tripod I couldn't really afford the 2 or so stops I lost by zooming in and only being able to go to 3.5 instead of 2.8, but I did crop it and I think it looks better, I'll upload that version in an update now

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah...it's not working for me either - probably some issue with the javascript coding.

    It's definitely more difficult when you have to juggle a tripod, a camera, AND an umbrella! Understandable :)

    Ah, I didn't look close enough to notice that bump in the end - I still think it looks neat tho.

    You don't always have to take lots of pictures to get a good one! :)

    I think in the first photo, the light definitely helped to balance out the photo and give it a little focus, without the light, I'd have shifted a bit so that the tree was better framing just one of the benches. Alternatively, you could have really made the light the focus by shooting from a lower angle (pulling focus away from the benches). <- But that's just me. We have different shooting styles :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stupid coding. Wonder if I can fix it...seems to work on other people's blogs.

    Yeah. I didn't really think of shooting from a lower angle, even though I actually quite like low angle shots. I guess in this case I felt like the snow covered benches sorta made the scene. I shot it with a more yellowed WB because I thought the juxtapositioning with the warm light and lonely, cold benches was for lack of a better word, nice. =P Kinda makes me want to sit on the benches, even though I know I really don't want to because they are cold and wet. If that makes sense.

    I know what you mean about the focus, but I also feel like the bright light holds your eyes and keeps them there so you don't look around the picture. But we've also been through the issue of removing the light.

    Good suggestion about moving around to the tree. I did the exact opposite and moved to my right, and that was not a good shot at all. I also could have brought it in tighter and only had the left bench and no light, that probably would have been the best shot...but would have necessitated my tripod. I need an assistant. lol!

    ok so long story short, desipte my emotional attachment to this picture, I won't include it in my portfolio probably.

    Thanks for the input!

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Cookies!?!?