Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Place to Call My Own

I found this house on Zillow the other day and I TOTALLY wanted it. It was an adorable little cottage-style, red brick house, not far from where we are living now. It had adorable little window boxes with tulips in them and daffodils growing below there. If you couldn't see the surrounding area I might have been convinced the house was in Holland.

Of course, the house had a larger kitchen and a sizable yard for gardening. There were also hardwood floors throughout and a fireplace!

And the best part is, this house was only like 110K.

Don't get me wrong, Andrew and I aren't house shopping. We can't afford even a 10 percent down payment and we're not permanent enough to actually seriously shop. Zillow is just one of those sites that I visit now and again for the fun of it. It's kinda like visiting model homes.

However, that is totally the kind of place I'd like to live in when we ARE permanent. But the house won't be in Utah. I long to live in the Pacific Northwest. I was eating a cup of Tillamook Yogurt (Northwest Berry Patch...AMAZING!) and I thought to myself, "this yogurt is FAR superior to Yoplait...oh if only I could live in the land it came from, I'd eat it every day!"

Not to say I long to live next to the Tillamook cheese factory, but I do want to live someplace where I can grow a garden full of fruits of all kinds. Since one of my companions on the mission was kind enough to teach me how to make yogurt, I could pick berries from my garden and make my own delicious yogurt! It would be heaven.

Another thing that draws me to the Pacific Northwest is the coast. Rocky, cold, and beautiful. I could definitely live in a place where the water is covered with a mysterious fog in the winter and sometimes even in the summer! I don't like seafood but I would go clam digging and make fresh clam chowder for my family anyway.

That is the kind of life I would lead in the Pacific Northwest.

Of course, now that I have that dream...Andrew is going to get a job in Texas...I just know it.

Does anyone else like looking at model homes or at Zillow just for the heck of it? What interests do you have that people might think are strange? Where do you want to end up when you're "permanent"?  Has anyone visited the Tillamook Cheese Factory?

1 comment:

  1. I obviously still have some growing up to do...cause I still have a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea of living somewhere "permanently."

    I could totally see you doing all that (and I'd have a reason to head out to the pacific northwest to visit ya; and go on photo adventures in your garden, by the water, etc.)

    Texas isn't too bad. It's actually really quite nice depending on where you're at. I think you could learn handle Texas if you had to. (Your personality is certainly big enough for a state like TX - you'd fit right in! ^_~)

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Cookies!?!?