Saturday, January 28, 2012

Taking Up An Old Hobby Makes One Greedy

My photography career has been spotty. I bought my camera back in '06 for a sizable sum. With that money I did get the camera body and 2 decent lenses with a range of 28-300mm, which is actually really good as these cameras go. However, the funny thing about photography is that you always want MORE.

....aaaaaand then I don't touch my camera for months, even years at a time. =P

Obviously though, I've picked it up again. I've been watching a wedding photography workshop all day and now I'm looking at speedlights (flashes), softboxes, etc.

Side note: when you're looking at a photographer and they say "I'm a natural light photographer" what they are REALLY saying is "I'm poor and can only afford the sun". =P That line on photo sites always makes me giggle.

Anyhow, I'm a bit away from actually needing all that fancy equipment. For now, I can rent it if I REALLY need it.

But all the same, I had to curb my desires SOMEHOW. So I bought this.

Variable Neutral Density Filter

I know hardly anyone knows what that is so I'll just tell you. It does the exact opposite of a flash. It takes AWAY light.

Why would I want to take away light? I mean, I can only afford the sun, right?

Well, has anyone ever gone out at high noon without sunglasses on? It burns doesn't it? Well, I basically just bought sunglasses for my camera. With this, I can theoretically cut out so much light at noon, that it will be like shooting at sunset. I can take those pretty water pictures where the water is all blurred, in broad daylight.

Yeah. I'm pretty excited.

That's all theoretical, I mean, it was only 16 dollars so I'm not sure how well it will work...but I had an Amazon gift card ok? Just let me be excited. =P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Cookies!?!?