Friday, July 20, 2012

A New Reign Of Terror

I can't believe I didn't see it before. Well actually I guess it all makes sense, considering I didn't really read (and consequently really ticked my english teacher off) A Tale of Two Cities. On a somewhat unrelated note, maybe I should contact my 10th grade English teacher and tell her I am now reading all the books I refused to read that year, of my own accord. Teachers love to know they made an impact right? Even if it's like 10 years later? =P (...oh my stinkin' stars that WAS nearly 10 years ago...)

Anyhow, I've been reading the Scarlet Pimpernel. On another side note, I recommend it. It's really slow to start but after that its pretty solid and a fun read.

Moving on. What was the whole deal with the French Revolution? Right, the middle and lower classes, rising up in violent protest against the upper class. In America today, we call that the 1%. Now, I have a lot more sympathy for the upper class of America than I do the French. (Not that I think they deserved to all die, but they were rather silly...but honestly back then, what upper class WASN'T?) All that aside, I find all these occupy movements to be eerie shadows of a bloody revolution. Just...not so much blood and no guillotine (which is probably the reason for not so much blood. that and generally executing people just because they are rich is typically frowned upon these days...)

Speaking of eerie shadows. The Great Depression. We're practically there. I mean, I refuse to believe we're in a recession at all. Mostly because that was a silly word invented by Democrats (or maybe Republicans, I forget) to quell widespread panic during the 80s. Before that, all recessions were called depressions. Recession is just a PC term for depression and no one is going to use the word Depression until we're all on the streets living in ramshackle "Obama-villes". I don't understand the point. Canyons are all canyons...but there is only one GRAND canyon. So why can't we just be calm about the word depression? Thus far there is only one GREAT depression....

Back to the shadows of things past. Here is what I see, please tell me other people have seen it.

1930's-widespread drought
2012-half the country is in a state of emergency because of drought.
1936-Great American Heat Wave
2012-ridiculously large heat wave across America and thousands on new record high temps set
1929-stock market crashes, economies world wide follow
2008ish-severe economic depression and stock market unstable at best
2012-umm...yeah America isn't the only one with a crappy economy right now...just sayin.

If I was a crazy conspiracy theorist or whatever, I would say that it really doesn't matter who gets elected president...they can't fix the economy now. History already shows that. What will have to fix it, is WWIII, because lets be honest, WWII is what fixed it last time. But then again, if you look at it like that, how can WWIII fix anything when the government has no money to spend? I guess the world is just going to end. =P

But I'm not one of those people, I just think its kinda fun to find all the parallels. History repeats itself so I'm sure you could find parallels anywhere you look. I just thought all this was kinda fun. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Cookies!?!?