Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Perfect Start to November

I woke up and it was gray and cloudy outside. The sun is out now, unfortunately, but it made for an ever so romantic start to November all the same. Gray skies and fall leaves just go together in my book. Of course, as everyone knows, gray skies go with everything in my book. Unless I specifically need sun for something, which is rarely. I was even excited that the sun wasn't shining on my wedding day (after I got over the fear of dying a horrible death on the frozen freeway).

I haven't written much since the funeral because I've been pretty blah. You might think it makes sense, given everything that's happened, but honestly it's all school related. Weekend trips in the middle of the semester always make for crazy returns and no one ACTUALLY does the homework they packed in their carry-on, do they?

I just finished a stupid essay for my English class about how going to grad school delays starting a family. If the subject itself wasn't depressing enough (lots of articles about the impossibility of paying back student loans) there was always the actual stress of writing it. I sent off an email to my teacher that said something like "OMG I CAN'T MAKE SENSE OF MY RESEARCH! THISPAPERISDUEONMONDAYANDI'VEWORKEDONITFORTHREEDAYSANDHAVEN'TWRITTENANYTHINGIAMGOINGTODIE!!!!!"

I'm pretty good at writing frantic emails to my teacher. It's therapeutic. After I send off my panic email, somehow it breaks down my writer's block and I can usually churn out a paper in an hour. The only downside is that my teacher thinks I'm completely insane, but whatever.

Yesterday was halloween. Even though I knew no one was going to come trick or treat because we only had like 6 kids last year, I bought candy anyhow. Everytime I do that, I have a twinge of remorse for all the times I bashed the people who gave out crap candy. Candy is expensive! I was lucky they gave out ANY candy!

Once again, no one came. I spent the night making quiche and watching Nightmare Before Christmas. I also went to the library with my friend Ali so I picked up a few more cookbooks. They're my weakness. I've been really good this semester about not borrowing novels because I know I'll blow off my homework to read them, but I can't stop myself from borrowing cookbooks. I borrowed a fondue cookbook and now I wish I had spent my birthday money on a fondue pot instead of movies. =P

Speaking of things I've been trying to avoid so I actually do my homework....

Every Sunday we go to Andrew's Aunt's house. The kids just bought Minecraft and so for the last month, Andrew has been in the basement for HOURS on end just playing Minecraft. Andrew wants it really bad but I told him I didn't feel like policing his use of the game because I knew he'd blow off his homework playing it all day. (And this game NEVER ends).

Well, last week after the kids went to bed and we still had laundry going (we do our laundry over there) I picked up the controller to play with him and 3 hours later we were STILL playing. And worse, now I want the game too. It's probably a good thing we don't have 2 controllers. Nothing would ever get done at our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Cookies!?!?