So I'm going to repent of my wayward...erm...ways and put more pictures on my blog. It's not that I've been lazy in the sense of blogging, its that I haven't taken any pictures. I know...like what kind of loser photography major am I?
You may have also noticed that I've discovered the power of hyperlinks. =P
Anyhow, so moving on to the recap of Andrew's birthday. I went to the bookstore and got wrapping paper after work. Wrapping paper at the bookstore is expensive, and mostly girly, but I found a shiny fish one that I decided would do nicely and I also picked up some Jelly Bellies on my way out into the rain.
Yes. It was raining yesterday. Pretty hard too, the bottoms of my pants were soaked when I got home and I discovered more than one hole in my shoes. =P
Anyhow, now that I had everything I needed to make Andrew's birthday perfect, I needed to put it all together. First, I made this spiffy banner for him. I took a "Happy Retirement" template and changed it a little. (obviously) You can guess what it says so I won't explain it. Even though what I just typed was far longer than saying "It says 'Happy Birthday' in Japanese". =P
I wrapped all his gifts, using the clever tricks I learned from my parents over many christmases. The rules are as follows: disguise the gifts in anything you can...even in a roll of TP; If a gift has multiple parts, wrap them individually; place the most useless part of a gift where it will be opened first (I'll explain it later); and make them work for their gifts. If I was as cool as my dad, I would have put together an entire compass course just to lead him to his gift, but I'm not that cool so I just hid it.
After the gifts were wrapped and set out on the table (with his June issue of Popular Science which came yesterday) I set about making the clam chowder.
I didn't know what to make him but I knew he liked seafood, he had mentioned clam chowder before, and it was supposed to be gray and rainy all day (which it was) so it sounded perfect to me. How hard could it be right?
Not at all when you make it with canned clams. The whole process from start to finish took maybe 45 minutes but more like 1/2 an hour. The only problem I had was that the soup didn't really thicken, but we solved that easily with instant mashed potatoes. Love those things.
I stuck the bread bowl in the oven to crisp up a little and warm up and then Andrew and I went into the living room and he opened his presents. Everything went according to my plan...meaning he didn't get to the good present until last.
See, I had taken the manual thingy out of his knife box and wrapped it individually and stuck it in a DVD case, along with coupons I made for movies (he wants so many I figured I'd just let him pick, so I made coupons). That was the last gift he opened, though he was thrilled with all the candy I had bought him. What can I say, I know my husband. =P
Ok so I hid it in what I thought was a pretty easy spot but he took awhile to find it...and I had to give him many hints.
When he finally found it, he unwrapped it and then proceeded to cut everything he could, including his own finger. (ok he just stabbed his finger, but it drew blood) I think its safe to assume he liked it. And I did surprise him with most of the things I did yesterday...even the knife. The only thing I didn't surprise him with was the clam chowder because 1.) there was an unmistakable seafood-y smell when he walked in the house and 2.) he totally found the recipe lying on the bed.
WHY DID I LEAVE IT ON THE BED!?!?
And the clam chowder, even though the secret was blown, turned out to be a perfect choice too. He loved it...and he loved the bread bowl. :) I must admit, the 2 spoonfuls of the chowder I was able to get down were delicious...but the fishyness overtook me and I had to resign myself to Andrew's leftover PB and J, and bits and pieces of the bread bowl. Sourdough bread...soooo good. I'm gonna have to make my own one of these days.
Elder Scott said it was ok to watch movies after you're married...but that doesn't mean its very exciting. =P
We also need more pictures of us together because I know you can't believe this, but that picture to the right there...is the first picture we've taken together since our HONEYMOON. Well, I guess there was Ali's wedding...but I think that's it. And there was that mission reunion picture. But it doesn't matter because I don't physically own those pictures. I'm going to change, I promise!!!
Awww fun fun, you guys are too cute!
ReplyDeleteWere you really surprised that Andrew cut himself?
(One day, I wanna write a book called "When you give a Boy a Pocket Knife" :p )
You guys need pictures!? *Waves hand wildly* Ooh Oh! Pick me!!! (And I won't even charge ya cause a) you guys are super fun to shoot and WAY photogenic and b) I wanna try some new things and I would hope that you guys wouldn't mind being a test couple lol :p)
[Unless you're totally sick of my photographic style and don't want me to take pics of you guys - I would TOTALLY understand! :) ]
OH OH OH OH!!!! I VOLUNTEER FOR THE THING THAT YOU VOLUNTEERED TO DO!!! haha. Nope I would TOTALLY love to be a model for you! :)
ReplyDeleteAnd yes...when you give a boy a pocket knife. You'll have to put "he will try to shave with it" in there, cuz he totally did. But he has no facial hair, so he shaved his leg =P
HOORAY!!! ^_^ We'll have to find a day when you guys are free to do pics! And a cool location! :p
ReplyDeleteDid he really!!??!? OMG! XD
That's too hilarious!!