Just as a reminder, Friday I am making this blog private. Not that I feel like excluding people, it just weirds me out that there is a business blog in Russia linking to my blog, as well as a blog somewhere in the UK. I'm probably paranoid, its not like the Russians are going to find out where I live and come kidnap me or anything, but I've felt the need for a little more privacy since I've been married.
I think we share too much of ourselves online...and by we I mean me. I can't speak for everyone else. Right now its still just me and Andrew so its not a big deal because we're both adults, but as time goes on...do I REALLY still want everyone I've ever met to be a part of my family? Not really.
I recently cut down my facebook friends list to less than half of what it was. It's still causing mixed feelings inside me as if I'm playing favorites. I deleted some people not because I don't like them...but because I never talk to them. Or in some cases, because I wish I could talk to them but we've drifted apart and its just creepy if I keep looking at their lives if we're not mutually interested in one another; that's called stalking.
It's really annoying how something like facebook has changed the entire way we live our lives...how it can make you guilty for not talking to people even if its natural that you aren't still close friends. like they're gonna hate you or something :( Plus, its kinda sad because it really shows you how many people you aren't really friends with anymore and losing friends is hard.
I guess deleting friends on facebook is a lot like breaking up. You'll feel an initial pang of guilt, panic as if you did something wrong, and then eventually everything will even out again.
That actually WASN'T one of the things on my mind that I had intended to talk about...but it was good I guess. Or maybe it bored you.
Another random story I didn't mean to get into, but did you know that an email is FAR better a means of communication with a loved one than a facebook message? Have you ever taken the time to write a letter and then gotten a response? It feels good, yeah? Ok sometimes, you don't get a letter back, that sucks and you feel like you wasted your time.
Anyhow, while I was off facebook, I did a lot of emailing instead to communicate with people. Guess what. It helped my relationship. I had a friend who I thought I wasn't friends with anymore, it was awkward when we hung out even though we had roomed together and talked on facebook a lot. Yet after emailing back and forth, when we hung out, it wasn't awkward at all!
Call me old fashioned, call me stuck in my ways, but I believe that e-mail is still the best way to communicate...with close friends at least.
Another thing I didn't intend to talk about was blogs. (well, I kinda did) Like...who decided it would be a good idea to post your journal online? What is it about the internet that makes us want to share our lives with everyone? It's weird.
Not that its a bad thing. Some blogs serve to strengthen and uplift people, some blogs teach us useful skills. They're good things...if you can do them right. I'm not entirely sure I do it right but people still read my blog. One of my half dreams is to make a blog that people like to read...like lots of people. A cooking blog would be ideal...but since I steal all my recipes from OTHER cooking blogs wouldn't that be plagiarism? =P
Like I said, its only a half dream. While I am sure that I could achieve my dream if I tried...I'm not that committed to it I guess. That and I'm still trying to learn how to reach out to other people.
I dunno, how do you feel about written correspondence? How do you feel about social networking? Blogs? Chocolate?
And on a seemingly random change of subject:
I found this on pinterest the other day and thought I'd share it (by the way, after I ranted about heart pictures they disappeared almost entirely from pinterest. go figure, maybe they heard my ranting =P).
http://collegewallet.org/2011/06/stay-healthy-while-studying
For college students, this could be a great resource (though I haven't explored it much) but it was the page I'm linking you to that I'm mostly interested in right now.
Andrew and I have been trying to eat healthier lately, and that includes breakfast. For about 2 weeks we were doing great...then I had midterm projects that kept me up all night and I didn't have the energy in the morning anymore.
I thought this was a great resource to go to when i'm grocery shopping so I can have quick, healthy things on hand. (I may or may not be living off leftover halloween candy)
Some of the suggestions are really good...some of them are, ok at best. And some of them are downright silly (I will never keep anything less than whole milk in my fridge and obviously tea and coffee are right out)
I find a lot of things on pinterest. AND...I actually use them...when I have time. I have a random board and a board of things I know I'll never have or be able to make, but I have made quite a few of the recipes. I know I've mentioned this before but I thought I'd throw it out there again. I would like to, whenever I can, share the things that I've used that work.
What can I say, I like to share...with not people from Russia that I don't know. =P
So. Here is to an up and coming (kinda) made over blog.
...I hope you were all able to follow that. Like I said, I have a lot on my mind lately.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Cookies!?!?