Friday, November 18, 2011

Episode 93: In Which Jessica Ignores Homework and Has Some Questions She Wants Answered

Remember my rant about heart pictures? They're popping up again.

I was super frustrated when I wrote that so I might have been a tad dramatic. I'll just say this.

Does this picture bother ANYONE but me?! It looks super awkward...and their hands don't even look much like a heart anyways...


Why photographers? Why?

Ok, now that that is off my chest. I can move on to OTHER photo cliches. Like this one.


Swings in the fall...they seem a little cliche to me. But sometimes, cliches work...and that is why they are cliche. Or maybe I'm just rationalizing because that is MY picture. =P But it is an overall nice image...just a tad bit cliche. Thoughts? Opinions? I won't be offended, that's not EXACTLY my style anyhow.

Actually, this picture and following pictures come from that one day when I wasn't doing my art homework.

It's been so pretty and fallish lately and on Wednesday I just couldn't sit inside and make duct tape art anymore (and yes, I was making duct tape art). 

I didn't take a LONG break, because I had said duct tape art to finish. And it was cold. And almost dark.

So I stuck to my yard.


The funny thing about this picture (above)...is I can't decide if I like it or not. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. What do you think?


Now I'll tell you the story behind that last picture. See that tree? Does it look easy to climb?

If it does, I promise you it isn't. At least not when you have a camera strapped to your back that you REALLY don't want broken...and when you're wearing snowboots. Why was I wearing snowboots? Because they are warmer than my sneakers.

Anyhow, I climbed it. .

Picture this if you can (no pun intended). You're perched precariously on the tree trunk, turned in all kinds of awkward angles, holding a rather heavy camera. 

If you couldn't picture it, I'll just say it was hard, I bruised my knees and elbows and nearly fell out of the tree. Framing was left to luck.

Now how do you feel about the picture? Has your opinion changed? Do you find that your thoughts on a picture change after you find out what went in to the picture, or how it was taken? And most importantly, was it worth it? Or should I stop climbing trees. =P



If you diss this picture I'll never forgive you. 

Just kidding. But this is definitely more my style. I see things and I think "look at that texture...it would look great in black and white." And then I take the picture. I'm actually submitting this one for one of my assignments...so I guess that the break from homework wasn't ENTIRELY unmerited.


So what do you think? Good? Bad? Do you have a favorite? Should I just give up and major in Elementary Ed like every other married girl at BYU? =P

In other news it is the weekend and I have no homework until after Thanksgiving! WHEEEEEEEEEE! And, I don't want to jinx it but...there is supposedly a winter storm coming in that is supposed to dump 2-5 inches of snow on the valley floors. Sounds like a hot chocolate and book night to me. :) 

(let's be honest though...last year we had a blizzard warning. snow that fell? ZERO...my hopes are not up for this one. UPDATE: it was downgraded to 1-3 inches...talk about an excitement killer)

Other things of note that I don't want to write about so I'm just gonna make a bulleted list:
  • Andrew and I are going to film a Mormon message tomorrow. (actually re-film as the scene were were in originally needs to be reshot)
  • I would never ACTUALLY major in El Ed because...I dislike children. There. I said it.
  • I'd actually rather have cider than hot chocolate...anyone else in that school of thought out there?
  • Any book recommendations besides the Hunger Games and The Help? (I like historical fiction, but I'm up for anything)
  • My house is clean
  • Random question: What is the most romantic image you can think of. I'll leave the word "romantic" up for interpretation. I'll share mine in my next blog. It probably won't surprise you...but then again, maybe it will.
  • ONE WEEK TIL WE GO CUT OUR CHRISTMAS TREE!!!!
That's all. Happy Friday everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Okay so, I've totally seen these photos in like 2-3 different places now and I haven't commented on em (sorry).
    For the record, I LOVE them! You're SO good w/ B&W and textures (not gonna lie, I'm pretty jealous - but in an "I still love you, I just wish I had your talent" kind of way so we can still be friends :p)

    Also, I like the 2nd swing one. It's an interesting composition I think.

    You and Andrew are doing a Mormon message!??!?! That's so neat!!!

    Oh and...just cause I came across this the other day, and I know how you just LOVE the heart photos: http://pinterest.com/pin/93027548522497853/
    :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, well, Andrew and I are only extras in the mormon message, but Kelli is also in it and has quite a bigger role. I'll be sure to post it when its up.

    And that picture...makes me cringe. While also making me look at it because it is interesting. I guess they win, I will let them have a heart picture. =P

    And thanks for the input on the pictures. I can always count on you for a critique of my photos. :)

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Cookies!?!?