Friday, January 15, 2010

Episode 2: In which Jessica Wonders If She's SUPPOSED To Be Enrolled in BoM and Ignores the Holy Ghost


When last we left me, I was aquainting myself with classes and the BYU campus. Now a resident expert (hardly) my life is in full swing here at the Y!

Well Monday morning I went to Japanese and had fun talking with Sterling (gah! that is SERIOUSLY so hard to say. After Japanese I went to my Human Development class and then from there to chill in the library. I called Sister Beaufort (Kiku, and she was my MTC companion, one of them) and asked if she wanted to have lunch. Well she called me back after she got out of class and so I had fun talking to her while I wandered the campus looking for the Benson building.


Because I was on the phone, I failed to notice the aforementioned building right in front of me as I exited the JSB (Joseph Smith Building). So, I walked pointlessly back to the Wilk to grab a map and then realized what I had done. My legs were tired from walking (I walk twice as fast when I'm on the phone) and I felt pretty silly. =P However, of all the strange coincidences, while in the JSB I ran into Jessica, a girl who was in my geography class and institute class at MCC last semester. Random!


Well at 2pm I went to Chemistry, and left it with a false sense of "this is ok...I can do this". Then I met Kiku and we went to the asian market where food was REALLY expensive! But I bought it anyways. haha. That same night, Matt came to pick me up so I could go see Clarissa's new baby (who is sooooooooooooooooooooo cute and tiny!) and then Matt brought me home again JUST in time for ward FHE. We went on a scavenger hunt around the mall, they let you do that in Utah, they must be used to mormon activities. =P The picture at the top is from our scavenger hunt...but for some reason it posted up there and not down here. lame.



Tuesday I woke up at 6:30 again and went to Japanese where we got kanji drilled into our heads. It's early but I have no problems staying awake in that class. ^_^ Maybe...


Next I had Book of Mormon and I had carefully memorized the building and the location of the building it was in. Lucky for me it was the building right next to my Japanese class. Unlucky for me, I had neglected to memorize what ROOM NUMBER it was in before going to class. AUGH.


By the time I managed to look up where my class WAS, it was over. So I contented myself with reading the syllabus and getting started on my homework for other classes. This would probably be the last time I actually bothered to read the textbooks for my classes.


At 3 I went to my nursing class (which by now I had looked up the room number for so that we didn't have a repeat of Book of Mormon. There's nothing interesting to say for Nursing yet, we just did get to know you stuff.


That night I was sitting in my room studying Japanese when St...Williams (GAH! I just can't call him by his first name! old habits die hard...) texted and asked if he could borrow my Japanese book cuz he hadn't bought it yet. So he came over after my interview with the bishop (which was very basic and he told me to attend all the activities and make friends) and we did Japanese together. He did significantly less Japanese than I did...mostly cuz I was hogging the book and because we were super confused over the layout of the syllabus, but it was fun nevertheless. After he left, I continued doing my homework. (I can assure you that drive to do my homework has lessened...and I usually spent the last 10 minutes before bed doing my Japanese homework now. haha.)


Wednesday morning came and I was feeling pretty proud of myself. I had been doing a pretty good job going to bed at a decent hour and I was getting up at 6:30-6:45 no problem. I thought perhaps it was because I was motivated to go to Japanese class. Well, if I was motivated before, my motivation doubled on Wednesday because halfway through class, who should walk in but Tyler (formerly known as Elder Ward)! Oh if my joy were great with ONE soul from my MTC district imagine how great my joy was with MANY souls...or at least two. haha.


So I left Japanese thinking that nothing oould absolutely ruin my happiness. Nothing. Nothing except...chemistry.


I TOTALLY DON'T GET IT! I'm just gonna have to set up residence in the tutor labs...probably marry a chem tutor. Not my FIRST choice for a husband...talk about booooooooring. But if it gets me through chemistry =P


So on Thursday I attended Japanese as usual, fully aware this time of where my Book of Mormon class was. I calmly walked to it after Japanese only to sit down and discover that I had left my scriptures in Japanese! At this point I was seriously wondering if I should have signed up for New Testament or something because I felt like God was telling me that I wasn't meant to be in Book of Mormon this semester. haha!


Because I get out of class on Thursdays at 10, I walked back to my apartment and proceeded to do homework right? No...I went back to my apartment and goofed off on facebook and watched movies all day. Around 10pm I decided that I should take a shower so I went to do that and then remembered that I had Japanese homework and I had better do it. So I sat down on the computer and proceeded to talk to Sterling (HA! I did it! I called him by his first name!) for a couple hours and THEN decided to do my homework. I finally shut my books at about 12:30 and snuggled in to go to bed.


As I lay there a thought came to my head that said "where is your phone (my alarm clock)". I panicked for a moment thinking that perhaps I had left it in the bathroom when I went to take a shower but decided I was too engrossed in going to sleep to worry about it.


The voice said "look, I know you think you don't care, but you should just check" to which I replied "Ummmm...look, I'm already in bed, I'm sure it's on my dresser or something and I'll hear it in the morning"


I turned over and buried my face into my pillow to make my point but the voice was not to be thus deterred as it came again "look, so you won't get out of bed but there's your mission alarm clock right next to you, why don't you turn it on just in case"


From my pillow I mumbled, "that thing is annoying"


"But it's already set for 6:30, come on...just in case" sounded the voice again


"I'm going to bed now! zzzzzzzzzzzzz"


The next morning my alarm went off from the shelf at the foot of my bed and I triumphantly smiled....before going back to bed. Amongst my dreams I heard a "wake up!" and instantly shook awake. I glanced at my clock which read "6:59" and thought "it's ok, I've got half an hour before my alarm goes off" and I rolled back over to go to sleep.


the voice came again, "wake up!" and I jerked awake once more, internally glaring at the voice and glancing at my clock.


'7:29'


"LOOK voice...I still have 1 minute to....OH MY GOODNESS IT'S 7:29!?! I HAVE CLASS IN HALF AN HOUR!!!"


Somehow, I managed to get dressed and still make my bed AND get to class at 8:59. Panting, I sat into my seat and I could almost hear a voice saying "told ya" ...but the Holy Ghost isn't like that is he? =P


The rest of the day went without incident and I eased into the weekend quite easily. On Saturday, my old mission companion, Erica Powell, came over to play. We went and wandered around the Provo Towne Center mall, never buying anything but trying things on just for fun. We had the most fun trying on hats at the Icing...I do believe I've got a new weakness for hats.


We went to lunch at an Indian retaurant and I had Mango Lassi for the first time since coming home! I simply MUST make it at home because I can drink SO much Lassi! It's the greatest drink ever made! We were with her sister, who just got home from study abroad in India, so she taught us the proper way to eat Indian food, with your hands! It was so fun to eat with my hands in a public restaurant and the employees were very impressed. haha.
That night I was trying to do homework and failing, so I went over to Sterling's apartment to do my homework. It was so fun! I love doing homework with friends. It's usually not very productive, but it's fun.
And that pretty much concludes my first week at BYU! I know I didn't include sunday...well I went to church. Oh! I met a really nice guy...then found out he was 18 and felt immediately awkward.
That's all for my first week of school! Stay tuned for next week! (my next entry will shove a whole week into one entry too, then they'll be shorter and more specific)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Cookies!?!?