Friday, January 15, 2010

Episode 3: In which Jessica Reaquaints Herself with Old Friends and Makes Some New Friends

When last we saw me, I was doing pretty darn well for myself at the Y. Oh how I love it here. This week was pretty crazy and forgive me but I hardly remember the chronology of it all, but let's take a look at what I'm up to.

My classes are all going well, except for chemistry which I promise you is out to cause my untimely death. My teacher likes to open class with a spiritual thought about learning and science everyday (most classes here at BYU do, it's the nice thing about being in a church college) but I don't like it one bit when it comes to Chemisty. Nope, spiritual thought in chemistry just make me guilty, like I'm hating Sunday school or something.

But Japanese is by far my favorite class. Granted, there are two guys in there who have singlehandedly convinced me that IQ levels drop the further north you serve. (they served in Sapporo). Seriously, we were talking about the word "upon" once, and one of them raised his hand and said "but no one uses the word "upon" anymore." UPON hearing this I chose to be offended and think he was stupid. But really, despite stupid people, how can you possibly dislike a class where you can see your friends every morning? Even though it's at 8am, the prospect of seeing my friends gets me out of bed...even when I'm ignoring the Holy Ghost. But luckily, that's not the ONLY place I see my friends.

This week was a time for "renewing old...aquaintances." (kudos to anyone who knows what movie that came from! It's tough I know =P )

So as I mentioned before, Elders Williams and Ward are home now and I get to see them ALMOST everyday. Unfortunately, the Japanese class got split in half and me and Tyler are in one class while Sterling is in the other class...so I only see him on Tuesdays and Thursdays now.

Then on Tuesday, Sterling didn't even show up to class cuz he slept in! Dweebface. =P So I met him for lunch so I could show him my notes. I never actually showed him my notes though cuz we were too busy talking. We also ran into Casey Payne, a guy from Sterlings mission who is also in our Japanese class. He was companions with Elder LaRose and is the one that told Sterling that LaRose had a crush on me. EWWWW. Casey sits next to me in Japanese and calls me "LaRose's crush. I'm sworn to hate him forever. haha, he's actually a really cool guy so I don't hold the whole LaRose thing against him...much. =P Anyhow, I listened to them talk about their mission for most of lunch. It was fun. Mission stories are so much fun to listen to...but 10 times more so when you know you have your own to tell.

After lunch, I ran into Danielle Reeder briefly, which was also fun.

As for other people I've run into up here in Provo, I ran into Josh Doying in the Wilk the other day and then again in the library on Friday. I had gotten on Facebook (even though I had homework...what else is new right?) and he was on chat, so I said hi and he told me he was in the library. When I told him that I was too, he told me to come up to the 4th floor and join him. When I got there Elder Lee and Sister Topham were there too. (more people from my mission obviously. I also saw Elder Evans sitting across from me before I packed up to go to the 4th floor. It was pretty crazy stuff. OH! And I had run into Elder Metts on my way into the library. haha.

Also in the Wilk, I was looking at community service ads when suddenly a guy walked right into my line of vision and stayed there. I was about to get irritated until I noticed he was looking straight at me and that it was Elder Metts. While we were talking, Elders Mariana and Lee showed up as well. It is so much fun going to school and seeing so many people you know on campus! When I was at MCC I rarely saw people I knew on campus...but that could be cuz we LIVED in the institute building and rarely left it. haha.

On Friday evening there was a Japan Club meeting which I was in attendance at. We ate Dorayaki (pancakes with anko in them!) and I got to see my friend Savannah! ^_^

Well, as fun as seeing old friends is, making NEW friends is super fun! I've met quiet a few people this week and I plan to meet a whole lot more!

I've gotten closer to my roommates now, even though I'm frequently in my room pretending to do homework, I venture out to talk to them every now and again to make sure they don't think I'm a loser. Rebeckah and I get along particularly well and enjoy talking about musicals, movies, and other random things.

In my human development class I met a girl names Shelia. She's from Taiwan, or China I think...I've actually not asked yet. But she's really sweet and I sit next to her in class everyday. She's new so I let her borrow my notes from class and we kinda started talking from there. She WAS in my chemistry class as well but she dropped it and picked up Chem 285 in its place. She's also a pre-nursing major.

On Thursday, I had my dinner group and Relief Society Activity. Dinner group is a group of about 25 of us who get together monday through thursday for dinner. One person cooks a night so you get a decent meal every night but only cook like once a month. I made taco rice on Thursday and now lots more people seem to know who I am haha. I also seem to know a few more people too. I met a really nice guy named Dallas at dinner group on Thursday and he invited me to sit with him at church today so that was nice. ^_^

At the Relief Society activity I was a little nervous because it seemed that my roommates all got seated at the same table while I was at the table furthest from them but I soon found that I was seated at a table with some of the cutest, bubbliest girls in the whole ward. One of them, Marissa, is super friendly and only lives like 2 door down from me. She invited me to come over and play anytime, and she's one of those people that means what they say. She's really nice. When she heard I had gone to Japan on my mission she immediately bombarded me with questions about food. I didn't mind, I enjoy talking about food.

Then today at church I met the other three RM sisters in my ward. They're really nice and I sat with them for most of church so I'm branching out of my apartment. Yay!

I know that was less than informative...sorry. haha.

This weekend was spectacularly splendiferous! First the Japan Club meeting and then I went to eat pizza with Sterling. I invited Tyler too but he was going to the volleyball game. Dinner was super fun. We talked about our missions...duh. We also saw Farnsworth Sensei (a teacher from the MTC) and I realized that I have gotten used to being in the US. We got our drinks and Sterling thought his was huge, whereas I thought mine was normal. A second later I realized that he was shocked because drinks in Japan are super small...and I also realized that that meant I had gotten used to being in America.

After dinner, I foolishly returned home thinking I would do my homework. What I didn't do was homework...what I did do was talk to Sterling on the internet for hours. What the crap!? I should have just not gone home. At about 10 Emily (Sister Perkins) called and said she was picking me up for a movie so I happily put on my super cute boots and waited for her to come get me.

We (me, Emily, Sterling, and some random 14 year old kid named ben) went to the dollar movies to see...whatever was playing. We ended up deciding on "Couples Retreat" but it didn't start til midnight so we went to wendy's for ice cream. We talked about movies and such on the way and made fun of Rachel and how she deserved to die in batman because she's stupid. Seriously...you have Bruce Wayne/Batman/Millionare/HOT and then you have Harvey Dent/ew! and she picks HIM!?! What was going through that woman's head?! She was so ugly she was LUCKY that Batman liked her!

Anyhow, I digress. After we finished our ice cream, we went to see the movie. Long story short, it wasn't a good movie and I spent most of it with my hat pulled over my eyes. That's what I get for going to see a PG-13 movie without researching it first. The beginning was kind of cute with a married couple and two kids who seem to all get along and love each other, and the end had a good message about making time for each other in your marriage and whatnot...but I think the Church gives us the same message in the Family Proclamation WITHOUT all the unncessary sexual innuendos/not innuendos. Long story short, I felt much more stupid after having been in that theater.

I came home and Saturday I pretended to do homework all day...while talking to Sterling online. About 10pm we both decided that we needed lives. badly. but it was too late to do anything because curfew was in 2 hours and its a 20 minute walk between our apartments.

Today after church I tried to do my homework...really I did. I thought about it anyhow. But instead I made dinner with Rebeckah and her boyfriend, Curtis. He used to live in Japan so we talked about that and we subjected poor Rebeckah to mission stories. She was a good sport and let us continue though, too distracted by her cookbook to care.

Curtis also likes to bake so we decided that we are all going to make potato soup and sourdough bread bowls for dinner next sunday. Curtis is going to start the sourdough on Tuesday. Yay! fresh sourdough!!! I'm so excited!!!

After dinner and storytime, we started talking about random disney songs somehow...then we started talking about Anastasia (which isn't disney, I know) and then we ended up in front of the TV watching it. Kelli and Candace walked in and stopped to watch it as well and then the hilarity ensued. While watching Anastasia ignore Dimitri, Candace was yelling "GIRL! Go after him girl! Man I should be in this movie; I would be telling people how it should be!" Kelli calmly replied, "Candace, if you were in this movie, you'd be like a slave." (Candace is black =P)

There were too many funny comments like that one to possibly relate to you all so that one will have to suffice. Sorry this post was really long, but I'm caught up now so I can start making shorter posts about just one subject.

I love my new friends at BYU! ^_____^

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Cookies!?!?