Thursday, January 14, 2010

Episode 1: In Which Jessica Aquaints Herself With BYU


Ok so I decided to just get it over with and catch you up to life here at BYU because honestly, so much happens everyday that I could write like 4 entries just on today! But I'll start with my first week.


After much shoe shopping and searching I was finally ready to move into my new apartment. I was a jumble of nerves, not knowing who my roommates were or what they were like. I was scared to go into the apartment at any hour other than 1pm for fear of offsetting people's routines and I was scared they'd think I had a lot of stuff, what they'd think when they found out I was 23, etc.

Amusing Anectdote: I was hanging my 'Class of 05' hat on the wall as I was moving in and offhandedly said "Watch, my roommates are gonna be like '05!? that's so old!' cuz they all graduated in 08" 10 minutes later I turned and on the wall was my roommates graduation tassel...'Class of 08'"

Well needless to say that I soon found that I had nothing to fear. My roommates are all wonderful, every single one of them. My personal roommate, Rhiannon, is from the Bay Area and an all around well rounded person with interests in just about every category. We have about the same sleep habits so sharing a room isn't a struggle of any sort. (though I do go to bed MUCH earlier these days due to an 8am class)


My other roommates are Kelli and Candace, who like boys. A LOT. Not a day goes by that I don't hear Kelli walk in the door and immediately say "I LOVE *insert boys name here* It's generally a different boy every day but centers around the same three guys with a new one popping up every once in a while and we all laugh. Kelli and Candace are really fun and outgoing; it's helped me ease into life at a hastened pace. Candace is frequently heard trying to assure you that she's not always as crazy as she's acting, but I've yet to see her act any differently. She also seems to be the one that tries to keep Kelli under control...but incidentally usually makes Kelli say something ELSE hilarious. Hee hee. They specialize in "spying" and can be seen running for the peephole when they hear people in the hallway.

My other two roommates are Rebeckah and Elizabeth. Elizabeth and Rebeckah have quieter personalities but that doesn't mean they are quiet. Rebeckah has a laugh that is infectious and you can't help laughing with her even when you have no idea why you are laughing. She loves theatre and good musicals and laughing so she's really fun to be around. She's the type to pop their head in the door just to say hi when you've been holed up in your room doing homework all day. Elizabeth likes movies and she has good taste in them too. I've enjoyed every movie I've watched with her thus far, though "The Kite Runners" was really sad.


So there is the rundown on my living situation. On to school!


I've now survived nearly 2 weeks of university life and I'm loving every second of it. Maybe that's why I'm writing a blog about it?


After a week I've sort of set myself into a routine and things are coming easier. I haven't been lost on the campus per say, but I have walked right past my building because I wasn't paying attention. It is a huge campus though so give me time, I'm sure I'll lose myself someplace.

On Monday through Friday, bright and early at 8am, I have Japanese 300. It's by far my favorite class for 2 reasons. It's Japanese...duh. And Elder Williams (probably perhaps hereafter referred to as Sterling...if I can get used to it...) and Elder Ward (Tyler) are in that class with me. For those who may not know, I was in the same MTC district with them and I have missed them terribly since. It's wonderful seeing familiar faces first thing in the morning. (check that out, my life's story comes complete with alliteration!)


After Japanese on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, I go to Human Development. It's a tolerably interesting class. Right now we're just talking about research methods so I have been known to catch up on the sleep I miss waking up at 6:30 every morning during my stay in that class, but it's getting more interesting.


On Tuesday and Thursday I have Book of Mormon, which is a tiny class of only 6 people so the discussions are very fun and my teacher is super nice.

On Tuesday I also have Intro to Nursing but there's not much to say on that class, except that I have a paper to do for it that's due on Tuesday. I've only been to two classes so far and so I don't know what to make of it.


On Monday Wednesday and Fridays, after a nice long, relaxing break, I head over to Chemistry and have my mind numbed by numbers that hardly make sense. I really don't like that class. But I do like to watch the teacher blow things up, he blew up a swedish fish the other day and it was like a firecracker!


So now you know the basics and should be able to understand subsequent posts. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. This is SOO funny!!! It made me laugh for three minutes straight!
    You have captured Candace and I in a nutshell!

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Cookies!?!?