Today was the university commencement. That means that I was obligated to get off work early as the office closed at 2:30. Andrew gets off at 1 on Thursdays so we had a whole afternoon together! It's been so long since we've had so much time together that honestly, we didn't know what to do with it all!
First we got season tickets to the outdoor movies at the Scera theater in Orem. We went last year and it was so fun, and you can't beat a ready made date at only 50 cents a person! We'd just pack a dinner and eat it on the lawn before the movie. This year there were fewer movies (6 as opposed to 8) and the price was actually a dollar per person, but I still can't complain. They have a great line up this year too, the only movie I don't want to see is ET and then there is MI:4 which I'm just "meh" about.
Speaking of "meh". We went to see the Hunger games today. That's kind of out of order as we at lunch at Zupas (love that place) and walked around the mall before deciding to see it, but it went along with the last paragraph so that's what I'm talking about now.
I've never read the Hunger Games, nor do I think I will ever. Sorry, but that's the way that it is. I was not opposed to seeing the movie and I believe that despite my cynicism toward the book, I went into it with an open mind and hoped maybe I would see what everyone else saw.
I saw a lot of interesting costumes. My favorite was the lady who announced the tributes for district 12...but I also think she was my favorite character because she made me giggle. Aaaaaanyhow, yes. I liked the imaginative colors and costumes of the Capitol.
I believe there were some very good actors in the movie too. Jennifer Lawrence I felt offered a very convincing performance on almost all counts.
I did NOT like Peeta, and I think that the movie severely underdeveloped that whole relationship and possibly his character. Going off the things that I have seen around the internet and how many fans Peeta seems to have, I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt and assume he was either better in the book or his character is better developed later in the series.
That was another thing. Why IS it a series? I didn't feel like I was wanting anything more.
Finally, I consider myself pretty mature. It has been a long time since I've been tempted to throw my hands over my eyes because there was a "kissing scene". But I wanted to gag today. Thankfully it was short and there wasn't much of it. But really, it was pretty painful for me.
With all that, you might think I really didn't like the movie. But that would be wrong. I'm honestly just "meh" about it. It was a great movie for the suspense and action (though I couldn't really stomach the whole "kids killing kids"). I was on the edge of my seat for most of the movie. But I also wasn't particularly attached to many of the characters (if any) and on the whole, to me the movie was forgettable. Not something I ever have to see again, and not something that really stuck with me past the door of the theater (except my strange aversion to that...whatever you call it scene with Katniss and Peeta).
Long story short. It was fun and a good diversion for my too-tired brain and I suggest watching it if you have the chance. But that's about it. And it didn't in any way inspire me to go read the books.
After the movie we came home and I had a wonderful surprise for me! My broccoli sprouted! This morning there was nothing in the pot and now, there are 3 happy little sprouts, stretching forth to drink up the sunshine! I'm so excited! I only planted them on Sunday so they sprouted really fast!
Now I just have to keep them alive, but I'm not as nervous about that as I was last year since I already have one successful garden under my belt. But before you think I'm too prideful, don't worry, I also didn't have much success with my potted plants, so I'll be vigilant. I won't let my babies die. :)
Also: If for some strange reason you have not seen The Hunger Games (which would be strange as I am SURE I am the last person on earth to have finally seen it) sit as far from the screen as possible and be prepared for some potential motion sickness. The beginning few scenes are very "Blair Witch Project"-esque. I don't get motion sick easily but I was getting pretty sick and I was sitting in the middle of the theater. But the rest of the movie is much better so just sit tight.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Cookies!?!?