Here are my thoughts on the subject.
Illegal immigrants are NOT stealing jobs from Americans. I've seen the Mexicans standing on the street corners, looking for work. I can't tell you that they were legal or illegal, but whoever they were, they were looking for honest work doing jobs that no one else wanted to do.
I believe that immigrants have about the same percentage (if not lower) of "lazy leeches on social security and American taxpayers". I don't believe that they are the only ones taking advantage of the system, white people are in the news for that plenty (*cough* the lady who was still using food stamps after winning the lottery *cough cough*)
What I do not agree with, is the mere fact that they are not here legally. When you aren't here legally, you've broken a law, plain and simple. And normally, when someone breaks a law, they are punished.
I believe they are giving the legal immigrants and Mexicans in general a very bad name. I've been to Mexico and I understand why they feel the need to come here. They are very good people in a very bad situation, but that is no excuse to break the law.
The facts are, that while there may or may not be more illegals playing like leeches upon the system here in America, there are some. We may not be able to do much about the lazy, fat Americans who choose to live off welfare, but we can minimize the damage by eliminating who we can, namely those who are here illegally.
There is no reason that honest tax paying Americans and legal immigrants for that matter need support those who blatantly disregard the law. For those who try to do the right thing and obtain the legal means to be in this country, its a slap in the face. That process is hard. It takes years. By not cracking down on those who cheat their way in, we are not only slapping the honest people in the face, we are sending a message that it is ok to cheat.
On the subject of protests outside the courthouse and capitol buildings, I just have to wonder what is wrong with our country. That people who are here illegally and should be hiding from the law feel that they can be out in the open, flaunting themselves in front of law enforcement, with no fear of consequence? Why do they believe that they have the same rights as an American citizen? What is wrong with our country?
I believe that SB1070 is a good idea. Whether or not it infringes upon federal jurisdiction, I have no idea. But I still think it is a good idea.
When I lived in Japan, I had an alien registration card that I was required to carry with me everywhere. I was under agreement upon registration that I could be asked to show the card at any time and if I was caught without it, there would be consequences. I had to update it at the local city hall every time I moved so that at any time, they knew where I was living.
It didn't bother. I was never actually asked for it; if I had been, I would have shown my card, verified the legality of my presence there, and gotten on with my life. It would have taken 5 minutes, if that.
So exactly how is that different from asking immigrants in OUR country to do the same? If you're not breaking any laws, you have no need to fear.
And you don't even have to deport them all. Just mark them in the system and block them from receiving any kind of assistance. If they can't go to school here, if they can't get health care here, if they can't get a job here, they'll deport themselves and that will be what they get from trying to cheat the system.
That's pretty much my thoughts on the subject. It probably doesn't flow like an essay, but can you blame me? School is out for the summer. =P
No comments:
Post a Comment
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Cookies!?!?