I'm very interested in historical fiction and I have recently been feeling the need to read a good book so I picked a couple up from the library. One of the books I picked up was called "The Constant Princess" by Phillipa Gregory. It is about Catherine of Aragon, first wife of Henry the VIII and I have developed an unhealthy attachment to Catherine. So much so that I could not finish the book and even a week after returning it I am still plagued by thoughts of her.
If anyone does not know (and I would be very surprised to find out that many people do since it is not common grade school history knowledge) Catherine of Aragon was actually married to Henry's older brother, Arthur before she was married to Henry VIII. Despite the fact that it was an arranged marriage, designed to unite Spain and England, there are speculations that Catherine and Arthur were actually satisfied with the match and did fall in love. Tragically however, Arthur died just 5 months into the marriage and history as we are taught it in school became just that, history.
Like I said, it is pure speculation that they were in love but historical fiction thrives on speculation. That was were I got lost. I was only able to read up until Arthur's death before throwing the book across the room in frustration and ultimately returning it to the library unfinished. After reading about an unlikely love match, I couldn't bring myself to watch Catherine marry Henry VIII and take up her role as the tragic and doomed figure of Tudor England.
And the most frustrating part? The book itself wasn't even that good! It wasn't fantastically written (better than Twilight I am sure, but probably not by much). Why on earth am I so attached to this Catherine, that my heart aches for her even a week after closing the book!? For all we know, she wasn't actually in love with her husband any more than any other arranged marriage! But I am heartbroken for her all the same!
It really is making me crazy. When I have nothing else to think about, I wonder what it would have been like had Arthur lived. Would they have been happy? How would England have changed? How would history have changed?
AUGH! I am not even exaggerating here, it is making me completely insane. I think the moral of the story here is that I should not read historical fiction about actual historical figures.
The other moral of the story, if you can call it a moral, is that my "one" question to ask God when I die is no longer going to be "how did the dinosaurs die", it is probably going to be "Why did Arthur have to die?"
Has anyone else had problems with getting attached to characters in books or movies or anything? It doesn't have to be nearly as unhealthy as my attachment, but I'd like to know that I'm not alone. =P
You're definitely not alone!
ReplyDeleteMy sister gets WAY WAY attached to fictional characters (I've physically had to dodge books that she'd thrown in frustration because of what was going on in the stories).