Yesterday I went over to my visiting teaching companion's house to watch a movie with our visiting teachee. When I got there, our visiting teachee hadn't arrived yet and so I sat down on the couch and watched the TV guide channel scroll through several times as my companion tried to get a hold of her. After about the third loop, I noticed that Jeopardy was on and I hadn't seen that in a while; I wanted to know if I was any smarter than the last time I watched that show (which was when I was like 10).
Turns out, I was only marginally smarter. I knew that Jan Brewer and Janet Nepolitano were both governors of Arizona ("What is Arizona?") at least. It was really fun to watch it. Jeopardy is a crazy good place to pick up random trivia. And that is something many people probably don't know about me, I love trivia. I suck at keeping it in my brain, but I love it. I read Wikipedia in my free time just so I can learn random facts...that I forget almost immediately.
But now, I kinda wish I had cable so I could watch Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. Just those two shows. Maybe I can get our TV antenna to work so I can get local shows? They're the only shows I can locate and watch anywhere else but on TV!
I don't have TV right now either - but I've gotten WAY into Podcasts!
ReplyDeleteYou should check out some of NPR's radio shows (all available as podcasts on like iTunes and whatnot or here: http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast/podcast_directory.php) like RadioLab, This American Life, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me (which is a news trivia game show), and Ask Me Another (which is a general trivia/puzzle game show). You could also check out pretty much any "Stuff" podcast www.stuffyoushouldknow.com/ (ie: Stuff Your Mom Never Told You, Stuff You Missed in History Class, Tech Stuff, etc. etc.) All awesome, all interesting!
Not the same as TV...BUT you can still do stuff AND listen so....that's cool.
My brother-in-law is obsessed with NPR, especially "This American Life", so yes, I've tried those. I don't need to listen to them because I get them all second hand from Alex. =P
DeleteBut seriously, that is the only one I ever hear about. I'll definitely look into the other shows, they might be good to listen to while I'm working. I've exhausted my classic rock, classical, disney, AND embarrassing music from when I was a teenager playlists already.
I still miss Jeopardy though. Maybe its the whole format of the game that intrigues me (answering in the form of a question)...I'm sure your suggestions will get me through until I can figure out how my TV antenna works. (which will be forever because I'm too lazy)
Is he really!? Augh Jess! You should have set me up with him back when I was still single. Clearly, we couldda been soul mates! :P
DeleteYeah - I have a hard time listening to music while working...I usually just wanna dance if it's upbeat...or...sleep if it's lower key. XP
Which is why I prefer the podcasts :P
Jeopardy is unique in that aspect.
(Tho the 2 NPR game shows I suggested are formatted in interesting ways as well).
No...you and Jared are definitely soul mates. Alex's soul mate would be a mountain climber with a minor in ice climbing. =P I didn't want to put you through that.
Delete