Monday, October 24, 2011

Episode 86: In Which Jessica is a Widow and Watches Dark Movies

You would think that while I was a widow, I would have had all the time in the world to post this...but its funny how that works, isn't it? It's Monday afternoon and my husband has been safely returned to me. (actually he came home on Saturday but that is beside the point.)

Andrew went deer hunting on Friday with his dad, his dad's friend, and his dad's friend's son (coincidentally, also Andrew's boss =P) They go every year but this is the first year I've been all by my lonesome. For starters, LAST year when they went I was used to sleeping alone anyhow and I wasn't really alone because I had a roommate AND my little sister was in town visiting. Come to think of it...I'm not entirely sure if my roommate was home that weekend but Brianna was there so I wasn't alone.

This year however, there was no Brianna...and my bed was quite a bit bigger, colder, and lonelier.

This story isn't ALL sad though because as I said, Andrew returned on Saturday evening and Friday evening was occupied with girl's night. Ali came over and we went shopping at Winco (amazing!) and the Asian store (also amazing!...and expensive....and yes...I do errands on girls night...pathetic I know). After shopping, we made curry udon and watched Jane Eyre.

For those of you who know me, I hated that book. It was a book I had to read for summer reading and despite my hopes that it would be better than "The Grapes of Wrath"...it was about as painful to read.

Yet it was MY idea to watch the movie. What the crap?! I like period movies ok!?!

I'm beginning to see a theme here...because last year while Andrew was hunting, I watched "Lady Jane" and I don't mean a theme of watching movies about people named Jane...I mean dark movies.

For those who don't know, Jane Eyre is a pretty dark movie. Even when the sun comes out it's rather dark but the beginning is REALLY dark. Like so dark that Ali and I were glad we were not watching it with the lights off and we jumped at more than one scene.

Darkness aside, the movie was rather boring and felt a bit rushed. I remember feeling the same about the book...but to be fair I also rushed it in my quest to be finished so I could play Final Fantasy VIII (which was ALSO a disappointment, might I add).

But I felt like there was ABSOLUTELY not chemistry between Jane and Rochester and the fact that he liked her was downright creepy (although he WAS younger in the movie...I imagined him as an old man in the book (nevermind Mr. Knightley was about twice Emma's age...)). The only thing that made their relationship acceptable was the introduction of a new and creepier suitor (who coincidentally was going to India to be a missionary. When you look at that and Mr. Collins from P&P or Mr. Elton from Emma, you begin to realize that the underlying theme of chick-lit may very well be "religion is creepy")

But Ali ended up liking the movie and to be fair, it was MY idea to watch it and I already knew I wouldn't like it...so I can't rag on it too bad.

Saturday was really boring and I got no art done and then spent my WHOLE morning scrubbing burned soy sauce off the stove burners. The burners are still black. Then I did laundry, had an awkward conversation at the laundromat with probably the only Roman Catholic woman in Provo (she asked me what "MTC" meant and I was so caught off guard by someone who DIDN'T know what the MTC was that I FORGOT!!!)...pretended to do my art homework...and then went to pick Andrew up. The rest of the weekend was infinitely less lonely...and we watched things infinitely less dark.

Like Psyche. :)

And also my drawing class was cancelled today due to the teacher being in China. HAPPY DAY!

1 comment:

  1. I still don't understand why the Bronte sisters are considered to be such literary icons. I think they are kinda twisted.

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Cookies!?!?