It's between sessions, I'm waiting on the last session. This conference has been amazing.
Honestly, Andrew and I didn't do a very good job at paying attention to conference last April...I'm not sure what happened because I KNOW we watched it...and I KNOW I was actually awake for it. But nonetheless I can't remember it.
This time I was determined to do better.
I have...mostly. Andrew is working today so I'm all alone right now. It's sad. I only really heard one talk this morning and it was Elaine S Dalton's.
She is amazing. I'm not sure that I've heard a talk of hers that didn't strike me somewhere deep inside myself. Today, even though her talk was aimed at fathers, I felt a sort of peace.
You can laugh if you want...but for months I've been struggling with a distaste for the idea that I COULD possibly have a daughter or 2 or 3 or you get the idea. Growing up in a family of all girls, I don't really WANT to have girls. Or I didn't.
Andrew doesn't seem to care...he thinks I'm funny that I'm so set against girls.
Maybe its the Chinese in me? =P
But seriously, I just think boys are more interesting...plus they get to go on campouts and hiking trips and lets be honest, scout camp is WAY more interesting than girls camp.
So anyhow, I've been concerned lately, as many of my friends/ EVERYONE in relief society gets pregnant that I'll have a girl and then I won't know what to do. It's a silly fear because obviously I won't be able to help but love my child...but while I'm NOT pregnant and I'm NOT going through that whole bonding experience I feel like I'll be so disappointed and sad if I have a girl.
After Sister Dalton's talk though, I feel much better.
I felt like, if I have a girl, it will be ok. So she'll have to endure the horrors of girl's camp crafts that get thrown away upon return home, it's ok. Because Andrew and I will be sure to take her on enough rough and tumble campouts for her to make up what she misses. And when it comes to missions? Well, Andrew and I both served missions, so I think its highly likely we'll have at least ONE missionary, even if we never have sons.
She won't grow up to be a sissy and she won't be boring because her parents aren't boring...well...her dad won't be anyhow. =P
No, I could be ok with having a girl.
Of course, now that I've said that...I'm probably going to have 12 girls and no boys. It would be just my luck. =P
Ok so that really didn't have ANYTHING to do with Sister Dalton's talk...but that's what impressions came to me.
I think part of the bias against girls is because you're so used to it and ready for something else, haha! I've had all brothers, very few girl cousins, and now only 3 sister-in-laws total. I'm still adjusting to the fact that this baby could be a boy and that I'll still love him (some days I still get scared). Basically, I totally understand from the other side :)
ReplyDelete(reminder: we still don't know gender yet, but it's getting closer!)
ReplyDeleteGirls are laaaaaame.... oh, did I say that??? :)
ReplyDelete