I feel hugely accomplished considering I started the book in summer of 2009. I wouldn't recommend trying to read it unless you are into reading about someone's day to day life for 400 pages. I'm glad I read it I suppose, because at least now I can say that I did. But that's about all I got out of it.
Actually, it took me so long that I forgot much of the beginning and so when the story referenced them again, I was a little bit lost. I hate to leave a book unfinished...but I think from now on, I'm going to just cut my losses and move on. =P (I never did finish that book about Catherine of Aragon).
Next on my list? I dunno. I currently have
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
- The Once and Future King
- Alice I Have Been (a story about Alice in her later years...which is why I picked up Alice's Adventures in Wonderland in the first place)
- The Remains of the Day
- Nefertiti
- and a collection of Norse Myths
I'll probably read the Norse myths here and there as I don't know that I can get through the book by reading it cover to cover, but who knows? I got through Edith Hamilton's Mythology in like a day.
I'm thinking of starting with Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. It's really not a very long book at all.
I'm hoping to get through all of the books before I have to return them in 3 weeks. I can probably renew some of them, but I have at least 4 more on reserve so I should try to hurry as best I can. At least I won't take as long I took with Emma!
How do you feel about leaving a book unfinished? Have you ever had a book that you thought you would never finish?
I am going to confess - I never did finish reading The Hobbit!
ReplyDeleteI know - I'm a disgrace to my geekdom!
But man! Can Tolkein ramble on and on and on and on... X_X
The grown up Alice book sounds SUPER interesting to me tho - you'll have to let me know if it's good! :)
It's ok Kaylynne, I MUCH prefer the movies to the Lord of the Rings. I did finish the Hobbit and The Fellowship, but after that I was like "screw it. This isn't worth my time" and I haven't read the last 2. =P
ReplyDeleteYou are so right, Tolkein can go on and on and on and on...about a blade of grass. I suppose his incredibly detailed writing is what we have to thank for such an amazing movie...but I'll leave the reading of Tolkein to someone who appreciates it! =P
Well even the movies - I can only stand to watch like 1 at a time (people will be like "Hey - LOTR MARATHON!" and I'm all "Uh, how about I stay for one and then go live my life while you watch the others!?" .... Though I can't really talk since I have a tendency to sit around and watch whole TV series seasons in one go :p)
ReplyDeletelol - Tolkein probably missed his calling for some other career that requires you to be incredibly detailed :p
Tolkein...the wedding planner...
Tolkein...the movie set designer...
Tolkein...the detective...
:P
(OH! P.S. Did you get my e-mail by any chance? I sent like 3 e-mails out last night and apparently no one got em!...Gmail is rebelling against me!)
lol! Tolkein the wedding planner. =P I'm not sure I want him planning my wedding. He might hire an Ent as the preacher and then I'd NEVER get married. =P
DeleteYeah...you can't really talk, can you? But I know what you mean. I don't know HOW people can have marathons! Personally I'm no huge fan of the last two movies anyhow because I feel they are pretty drawn out. I like the Fellowship because it introduces several different characters and places and since they're all together still, you don't have to go back and forth. I think that's my ADHD talking. =P
More than just marathons, I dont' know how people can watch marathons of the EXTENDED versions! I mean really?!? I can't even watch ONE extended version movie. It was 3 hours as it was, why make it 4?!
But then, that's where I can't talk because I watch the 6 hour pride and prejudice in one sitting when I could watch the 1.5 hour one =P
LMAO! I hadn't thought about that! Yeah..maybe not Tolkein the wedding planner :p
DeleteOh my goodness - yeah...the 4 hour one kills! X_X
Yeah - I also preferred the Fellowship, I feel like it was also a little more quickly paced than the others too.
(And I get totally lost with all the switching in the others :P)
Yeah...uhhh - Personally, I'm just fine with 1.5 hour one. It doesn't require like 3 bathroom breaks lol
The argument for Pride and Prejudice is about the same as the one for the extended versions of the movies mostly...you get more of the book in. However, I firmly believe that a lot of people that want to have extended marathons could care less about the book and think it is just some kind of rite of passage to say you sat through 12 straight hours of movies. =P
DeleteThat or an excuse not to study...as I have always noticed those marathons cropping up around reading days. =P