Sunday we had a barbecue even though it was still relatively cold so we ate inside, but it was fun.
Monday, I took Andrew to work and did the laundry. Then I picked him up and we got some flowers at Macey's and went to the Orem Cemetery to visit his grandparents' grave. I've never been a huge one for cemetery visits but Andrew used to do it a lot with his family and it is important to him, and so naturally, it is important to me. It took us a while to find the grave, but we did and it was a very special moment for both of us. There were a lot of people there, but they all kind of faded away for the few seconds that it took to place the flowers on the headstone and stand back to see it.
We grabbed lunch at KFC and then decided to brave the trip up to Sandy to visit my grandparents'. Glad to say that the car made it just fine and suprisingly, we found the grave with no problem. The only time I've been there was in 1995 for my grandpa's funeral and I was on my mission when my grandma died. So it was important for me to make the trip. We did ask for directions, but it turns out that the grave was exactly where I had been heading before Andrew suggested we get a map. I felt pretty cool. Not bad for someone who was emotionally traumatized the last time she visited over 15 years ago. =P
Andrew has family around here, so there were already flowers on his grandparents' grave. I'm the only one of my family around here...or the only one of my immediate family. I suppose I have extended family floating around, but at any rate I'm glad we went. There was no one else to put flowers on the grave or to visit. And like I said, since I missed my grandma's funeral, it was a long overdue visit.
Andrew says that we'll be making a tradition of this as long as we live in Utah. :)
Next year, I plan to be growing flowers of my own so we'll have pretty flowers to take...instead of crappy- leftover-because-everything-else-is-sold-out-and-we-certainly-can't-afford-a-50-dollar-arrangement-flowers.
Thankfully, Monday's weather QUITE made up for Saturday's and after all the cemetery visiting, I spent the better part of the day in my garden. I didn't intend to be out there as long as I was and I got sunburned. Oops. We also went to 7 peaks and watched Captain America (a good memorial day movie, right?), and bought a new dresser at Ikea on the way home from Sandy. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Cookies!?!?