You know those memes that say "What I think I look like...what I actually look like?" That's me.
I like to think I'm super awesome...but sometimes I don't quit when I should and I end up only 75% awesome. Or maybe only 66% awesome. I dunno, I'm bad at math. Does that knock my awesomeness down another couple percents?
Andrew and I need a vacation. Problem? Typically vacations cost money. Gross, right? So to keep it cheap, we decided to go camping. Problem? Camping is at least 11 dollars to secure the site...and we don't actually have that money right now (poor college students).
Luckily, we live in Utah and it's only a 2 minute drive to the mountains. Luckily, we have all our own camping gear now (minus a mess kit and a water pump) so that's free. And if we go backpacking, you don't have to pay for a site. Brilliant! We'll do that!
Unfortunately, you know how we didn't have the money for a campsite? It means we really don't have the money to buy food above and beyond what we bought last week. I could make sandwiches but with regular bread, they get mashed beyond belief in one's backpack.
Solution? I made my own hoagie rolls yesterday. Awesome.
Problem? I was also making a blueberry pie at the same time.
Fortunately, each item has rise times and chill times associated so even in my tiny kitchen with my half sized oven, I was able to get everything prepped and baked. Awesome.
Problem? I did NOT have time to actually make dinner. Solution? Andrew ate leftover pizza and I ate...nothing. =P (I made up for it later with pie). Awesome.
The pie was delicious and because I made 5 loaves of bread, we sampled one of them and it was also amazing. Awesome.
I started packing the backpacks and I realized we didn't have any OTHER food except the sandwiches. We needed snacks. Snacks with protein and salt (for electrolytes). I made granola bars!
Problem? Well by this time, it was 11pm and I was exhausted from a long day in the kitchen and my back was killing me. I halved the recipe like always (cuz I can only fit half the recipe in the stinkin' oven anyhow...plus I only had 3.5 cups of oats left) except that I DIDN'T halve the oil. Whoops.
Solution? There was none. The granola bars turned out terrible. The honey mixture candied in the oven, creating a granola bar that would pull your fillings out. Not awesome. We'll have to buy granola bars at the store before we leave today. Not awesome. Bah.
So folks...even when you're awesome. It turns out that sometimes...you're not. =P
No comments:
Post a Comment
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Cookies!?!?