Monday, June 18, 2012

To Go

Sometimes, because we are nerds, Andrew and I spend our dates looking at google maps. We love maps. Sometimes we have competitions to see who can find a place faster without looking up the address. (This is usually places we went on our missions). Andrew usually wins.

The other day we were talking about something and he mentioned that he'd like to see Mt. Rushmore someday. I knew it was in South Dakota but it took a trip to Google Maps to find out exactly where. Turns out its on the west side, near the border. Thank goodness, we only have to drive across one state of completely nothing.

We started talking about going through Yellowstone and up through Montana to avoid the plains of Wyoming. Then we started talking about going to Glacier National Park...and it went from there.

Growing up, my family always went to Yosemite...and Lake Powell. Actually it was Lake Powell til that got too expensive, then it became Yosemite. I remember taking a huge long trip up California into Oregon and staying at all kinds of places. After that trip, we settled on Yosemite for our family vacation.

I'd like to do something like that with Andrew. He has places he went as he was growing up that he'd like to show me and I have places I'd like to show him. We'd like to see them all and finally, I'd like to find someplace that will be ours. Where our kids will have memories of going and one day take their families to see before finding a new place for themselves. (Or maybe they'll just keep our place, Yosemite was where my dad always went growing up).

We have a huge list of places to go. First on the list in Japan but we can HARDLY make that our yearly vacation. As it stands...it will be a long time before we go anyway. =P Here is a list of some of the places we'd liked to see.

-Victoria, British Columbia- Andrew went here at least twice and really wants to show me. He especially wants to show me Butchart Gardens (which is why we didn't go there on our honeymoon...since it was December) I would love to go, it sounds lovely!
-Glacier National Park-They say the glaciers will be gone by 2020. I think I'd definitely like to see it by then, but all the same the place looks gorgeous and probably still will be without the glaciers. Still, let's try to do it by 2020, its not THAT far to drive. :)
-Great Smoky Mountains N.P.- Admittedly, I haven't told Andrew about this one, but its on my list. I love the alpine forests of the west coast, but I love the bright green of deciduous trees too. For that, I have to go east and I hear this is the premiere hiking park. :) I doubt I'll have trouble convincing Andrew to go with me.
-Columbia River Gorge-So many waterfalls, lush vegetation, and Portland not far away with Powell's Books? Yes please. Luckily, this isn't far from Seattle and is probably easily done on a weekend while visiting the family. :)
-Mt. Rushmore-Aside from it being an American icon, I don't really know why Andrew wants to go...but I'll go anywhere with him.
-Church History Tour-I'm a sucker for history and especially pioneers. I could easily do an Oregon Trail tour but the Church History Tour is a little more personal
-New England-I couldn't really decide because there's a lot to be seen in the northeastern states. I'd love to stick to the coast and see lobster fishing in Maine and see little seaside towns. I have a weakness for the ocean that I certainly did not inherit from my mom. I hear the beaches on the east coast are nicer too. And there is just so much history to be had around the former colonies area. I don't really like American History but I'd still want to see the sights. I'd especially want to be here for Autumn.

There are lots more places to see. Obviously, things like the church history tour or New England wouldn't become traditions (unless we moved to the East Coast) but I wouldn't mind a yearly camping trip to Glacier, or something similar.

2 Years is hardly enough time to make up all your family traditions and Andrew and I are still working. It's going to be fun. :)

What are some places you'd like to see?

1 comment:

  1. I've been to the Canadian half of Glacier and it is gorgeous. I don't recall seeing any glaciers, but it was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Cookies!?!?